Hiding TV cables

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Marlin1, Nov 4, 2021.

1. Marlin1

Marlin1 New Member

While I’m blocking up a hole where a gas fire came out I thought I’d also hide the TV cables in the wall.
    External wall, currently aerated blocks (100mm thick) with dot an dab plasterboard on top.

Plan was to chase into the new blocks and fix some trunking – best option I’ve seen is 38x25mm from TS which has a removable lid but may glue it on to stop that coming off. To keep power and other cables apart, put 2 x 38mm trunking side by side. 2-gang surface PVC back boxes embedded into the blocks at the TV and source end of the trunking. Dot and dab plasterboard over the top.

Does that sound a reasonable way to do it? Any better options for the trunking?

Thanks

2. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Is it a straight run or are there corners? If there are, then consider using 25mm conduit with either pulled or swept bends..

Which ever way you go you will need to make sure that HDMI, USB and Network (RJ45) connectors will go through easily. You may want to run three - just in case.

I have plenty of space and used 50mm pipework ...

3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Justice leave cables on the side for 5 mins and my wife will hide them. :)

Won't see them ever again. Ha

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Getting the cables in the wall is for sure, the way to go - drives me nuts when I’ve been over to a mates house, spanking brand new humongous tv on the wall, soundbar, all signing and dancing features then cables draped all over the walls :eek: - what’s the point I don’t get it !!

38x25 trunking is too small to be useful when trying to remove or add cables in the future - going to this level of work, you want to ‘future proof’ the install for any additional cables / upgrades / etc

38x25 - you will possibly get your cables in during the instal but then due to their plugs at either end, cables are then stuck there for eternity

Depends on depth of wall and building regs for max depths of chases allowed - horizontal and vertical are both different figures - worth checking

As FBN above, I had plenty of depth so used 50x100 maxi trunk, bags of space

Look at using ‘brushed face plates’ top and bottom of trunking for neat cable entry/exit points. I sunk deep metal back box into wall and cut out section same size as trunking so no rough wall surface and fixing lugs for faceplate (can screw these direct to wall, plastic plugs obviously)

Also handy to leave a ‘draw wire’ inside trunking, around 3 times length of trunking and just curled up at each end inside the brush plate (tied to a cable) This makes removing or adding any cables in the future an absolute joy

Well worth the effort at this stage - good luck

Marlin1 likes this.