Hiding wood grain or texture before repainting

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Kaboo, Oct 24, 2021.

1. Kaboo

Kaboo Member

Hi all, looking for a bit of advice.
    Re-Painting a fireplace front/surround. It is wood and would guess its pine because can see knots bleeding through in two spots. But the wood has a lot of wavy texture or pattern showing through old paint. Its not stain but uneven texture. I attach a pic and hope that will help to explain. At another spot you can see and feel the pine's ring-like pattern too - this doesnt bother me much. But this wavy texture seems like wood piece wasnt plained before installing!!

I was thinking of Zinsser BIN primer (my most used tin this year because this house is full of pines!) then a surface filler to even out texture and sand to smooth surface? Which surface filler to use though?

I have:
    • A large tub of Gyproc EasiFiller Finish (used it with good results on un-even wall surface, dries a bit slow but super easy to sand - loved it) - Can I use this?
    • A small tub of Polyfill multipurpose (good too but more difficult to sand)
    • An unopened tub of Ronseal Woodfiller (never used it so dont know how easy it is and if I would be able to get good results with it)
    • An unopened tube of Polyfilla Wood filler (never used it)
    Many thanks

Attached Files:

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Those are chatter marks from a planer, they should sand out but if you do use filler, use the ronseal one as it's far superior.

3. Kaboo

Kaboo Member

Thank you. I dont know when this was installed and how many layers of paint are on it. I wouldn't mind sanding before installation. But now it will be too much work! :( And dust!

If not then a filler... Is Gyproc EasiFiller no good for this?

4. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Stanley knife down the edges of timber and remove then replace with new.
    Or
    2 pack wood filler and sand down but a bit of a job to tidy up that.
    Or
    If you are going to powder fill use the toupret.

Best option is replace

Kaboo likes this.
  5. Kaboo

Kaboo Member

Thanks Wayners, replacing will be easier but will cost more. I am going to try with Ronseal filler and Polyfilla wood filler I already have. We have been redecorating our new 3 bed semi and it has been 100% DIY (no budget left after buying this beauty to allow for professional help). So it has been a longggg summer and we have tried to the best of our abilities, without cutting corners and using good quality stuff. If there was no money or time to do something then we have left it for the next year. This fireplace front is in our main bedroom (low traffic room) and the last thing left before we pause for the winter. So I am going to go with the cheaper and hopefully not too difficult option of using the material I already have, hopefully it will do decent quality and decent finish. I dont want to buy another bag of something for just a small job.

BTW, I have heard Toupret's name in high regard. The only time I used something from Toupret was their MAgic Finishing kit - the filler worked well in really improving the looks of a wall that was littered with surface imperfections, was easy to apply, smooth out and sand. But the darn can of that ready-made filler was contaminated with mold/mildew. It smelled all through out the house. I am allergic to certain types of mold spores so really had to bleach it for days to kill the smell and finally paint over it (which we are still unsure if the paint will hold onto that wall although been ok since 2 months).

6. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

EasiFill and Tourpret are not designed for wood and the filler will likely crack/crumble. A good heavy sanding with 60-80-120 grit first, then 2 park/pack woodfiller. Harder to sand so apply thin layers only, but a superior filler.

Kaboo likes this.
  7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Due to the shape / profile of the piece it makes sanding and filling more tricky than say a flat panel door but …… can be done with time, patience and little outlay as you have most of the materials

Selection of sandpaper grits -
    P60 for fast removal of paint and raised sections (but will leave scratch marks in the surrounding paint/timber

P120 for finer work and polishing out the scratches from above

A selection of foam sanding pads - these work well around profiles as they mould to the shape. Sometimes sold as individual grits or as a selection pack

As for filler, without a doubt, go Ronseal Wood Filler - a number of reasons why;

Dries fast so you can be sanding in 10-15 mins

Sets rock hard yet relatively easy to sand (sands easier than other similar fillers I’ve used)

Sands to a glass like finish if you then move on to P120 paper

May seem expensive at around tenner a tin but will go a long way on these kind of repairs as they’re shallow - your not filling huge holes

Toupret is indeed a superb range of fillers, but for this work, the Ronseal will be the best choice in all areas

If you’ve never used the filler before (?)
    Then only mix small batches at a time, work fast and don’t mix then go make a cuppa !!(but maybe you’ve had experience with this filler around the house) ?

As your diy’ing this, your Labour is free, time is always precious I agree and there’s always something else to do !!

But work on sections at a time when time allows, be prepared for it to look worse before it gets better and just persevere

When you sand down the filler, same as repairing sections on a wall, really feather out the edges of filler to less than zero (not always possible with a powder filler as it can break away when super thin)

Run your fingers over the filled area, you shouldn’t be able to feel any edge where filler stops / starts. Any raised sections of filler will be highlighted when you come to paint

If your aiming for a perfect finish, yes it can be achieved with the above method. Probably doesn’t make economical sense to pay a pro to do this as time is money versus the value of the piece …… but as diy…… yeah, go for it ….. and post the results ;)

Kaboo likes this.
  8. Kaboo

Kaboo Member

Yay! it has improved by a lot! Its not perfect and if you look hard enough you can still find those chatter marks! But I can live with it now.

I tried sanding as much as I could. Once I could not any more, I started with Ronseal Wood filler. Tried to apply it as smoothly as possible! Then 2 more rounds of sandings. Then used multi surface primer. Then 2 coats of wall paint.

I know I know that wall paint on wood is a bad idea, but I wanted to colour match with the walls and I just did not want to buy another can of paint for such a small job. Finally I covered it with two thin coats of Polyvine decorators varnish (I had this left over too).

Here is the pic.
    Thank you everyone for help :) PXL_20211126_214322519.jpg PXL_20211126_214326573.jpg

Bob256 likes this.