hinge jig and festool grrr

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by chip off the block, Jan 25, 2008.

1. chip off the block

chip off the block New Member

thinking of getting a trend hinge jig but festool dont make a 16mm guide bush so i would have to get a uni base and pay them extra to drill it and then pay for a 1/4" collet because i have lost mine so that is going to cost. Any other options

2. handcraft

handcraft New Member

don't get a festool

lee

3. chip off the block

too late ive had 1 for 2 years

4. mailee

mailee New Member

Get a De Walt they fit. :)

5. chip off the block

well i priced up and to get all the bits to make it work i may aswell pay another £40 and get the dewalt 1/4" router which is on offer at £122 inc

6. TimberTech

TimberTech Member

I just recently bought the hinge jig, excellent buy paid for itself in the first day, Any how i only had 1/2" router so i looked on flea bay and bought a Marksman 110v 1/4 shank router for £24 yeh i know sounds like it would be ***** but it is just as good as most other small routers and the guide bush that comes with the jig goes straight in, have been using it for the las fortnight on site and it has really earned its keep, and me a few quid in the process, so this may be a usefull alternative for you, oh and you wont be dissapointed with the jig get the two piece one as its far easier to store and comes in a padded bag

7. TimberTech

TimberTech Member

8. chip off the block

i was told to 1 piece as more accurate

9. TimberTech

TimberTech Member

theres absoloutly no difference except its in two parts and joins with set screws when its assembled its the same, i just break mine down at end of day then re join the next day , put over 60 doors on this week and had no probs whatsoever

10. chip off the block

thats alot of doors in aweek. I assume they are all new casings etc

11. TimberTech

TimberTech Member

yeh its a new build job and i fitted the frames previously, that helps, with the jig its easy to at least 15 a day with out any pressure.

12. handcraft

handcraft New Member

i like the one piece just like the feel of using it like its totally solid nice

i use a lil trend t4ek router it feels really good in your hand just enough power and not heavy at all

lee

13. chip off the block

i had 1 of those and i burnt out in a few days

14. handcraft

handcraft New Member

what were you routing ? concrete ?
    youve worried me now

lee

15. chip off the block

just general use. I dint burn it out the bushes just went but it is still naff for a week

16. handcraft

handcraft New Member

well i will deal with that problem when it comes i suppose
    which festool you got ?

lee

17. chip off the block

1400. Is good bit of kit but like all festool rubbish it is only compatable with festool stuff and they dont always make the bits you need. Why dont they just make to accept a normal guide bush.

18. handcraft

handcraft New Member

i cant believe they dont do a 16 mm bush. what were you using before this then ?

lee

19. chip off the block

i wasnt i havent got the jig yet just considering my options

20. handcraft

handcraft New Member

hmm in that case bosch do some nice smaller routers

lee