hinge jig and festool grrr

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by chip off the block, Jan 25, 2008.

1. TimberTech

TimberTech Member

the one piece is cheaper but only by about a tenner, and it would be more awkward to store,

for andy@trend, the only problem i have is that the spindles in the two securing bradawls has come loose in the handles and when you pull them out of the timber theres about an inch of slide in the handle, I have emailed trend customer services last week but as of yet had no reply :( not to impressed with that.especially as the jig aint a month old yet.

2. chip off the block

chip off the block New Member

storage is not a problem as it will be strapped up to the roof with the 1800mm level

3. chip off the block

i have found a guide bush adapter for the festool so it accepts the 2 pieace guide bushes but not sure if i can get either in this country

4. handymanforhire

handymanforhire New Member

...and would prefer to get the correct stuff for the job

Was only kidding about the hammer! Seriously, the max. aperture on the Trend hinge jig (on mine at least) is 133 x 41mm - that should be plenty of 'wiggle room' to cut a pocket using a 17mm guide bush, even with a standard 12mm cutter - unless you're regularly fitting hinges bigger than 4" of course.

I've had my jig a few years, so maybe Andy @ Trend can confirm the max size of the current jig??

Cheers, Pete.

5. chip off the block

i was told the 16mm guide bush is longer/deeper so it doesnt slip out of the jig is this true

6. handymanforhire

i was told the 16mm guide bush is longer/deeper so it
    doesnt slip out of the jig is this true

Dunno to be honest - the 16mm guide that came with the jig is long gone; don't remember it being any longer than normal though - sounds like marketing ****** to me, I mean, why would a normal guide bush slip out of the hinge jig any more than any other jig??

I just use a standard one now - mind you I hardly use the trend jig any more as almost all my work is in occupied homes and as you know they really come into their own on new build repeat work.

Cheers, Pete

7. chip off the block

does it throw dust everywhere when you use it? I work alot on student accomadation and have to rout the frames to accept fire doors i alt of cases so dust ddoesnt matter there but in over houses it does

8. handymanforhire

It's fairly contained - the jig is about an inch thick and hollow, so a lot of the dust just drops inside. As I say though, it's been a while since I used it in anger; most of the time the doors I fit are replacements where I use the existing hinge pockets in the frame/lining (and these can be all over the place) so I mostly use a simple home-made 'one hinge' jig for this.

Hope this helps, Pete

9. chip off the block

thats good then dont want to cover everything in dust.I will se how i get on

10. andy@trend

andy@trend New Member

Timber Tech,

Please call Kevin in our Customer Services on 01923 212497 to resolve the problem with the bradawls.

Personally I use candle wax on the shanks to make them go into and out of the timber easier.

HTH

andy@trend

11. andy@trend

andy@trend New Member

Hi Handymanforhire,

The bush needs to be 16mm diameter in order for the jig/cutter/aperture configuration to cut the correct dimensions for the hinge.

The reason the 16mm guide bush for the hinge jig (GB160) is a special bush is that the spigot on the guide bush is longer (10mm instead of the standard 6mm), not to prevent the bush coming out of the jig, but to ensure that the bush connects with the plastic block inside the jig and not just the 4mm aluminium jig thickness, not using the correct bush runs the risk of damaging the jig.

GB160 - Replacement Part - is on Page 130 of the current 2008/09 catalogue,

HTH

andy@trend

12. handymanforhire

@ andy@trend

...to ensure that the bush connects with the plastic
    block inside the jig...

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying, that makes sense - though I'm feeling a little short-changed as my jig is only 3mm thick...;)

The bush needs to be 16mm diameter in order for the
    jig/cutter/aperture configuration to cut the correct
    dimensions for the hinge.

Well, yes, and I'm not arguing with you. But both the size of the aperture and where the jig is positioned on the edge of the door are adjustable so anyone should, when they're first setting up, be able to make allowances for the fact they're using a guide that's a little thicker than expected - within reason, of course.

@ Chip OTB

Don't have a 17mm guide for my Festo router, just 14mm and 30mm; ignoring the width (obviously) the 14mm is definitely not deep enough to use with my Trend jig, but the 30mm is. Might be worth an ask before you buy one to see how deep the 17mm is e.g. is it as deep as the 30mm??

HTH, Pete.

13. chip off the block

i dont have the 17mm either it is just the closest size they do. They do make a fitting that accepts the 2 piece guide bushes that trend make but not sure if i can get one in this country

14. TimberTech

TimberTech Member

Just a message for andy @trend,

called your cust service dept and spoke to Derek, all sorted now he is sending me a couple of new securing bradawls, excellent service. thanks for that andy

andy@Timber-Tech ;)