hinge jig

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by chippie84, Mar 7, 2010.

1. chippie84

chippie84 New Member

hi guys
    im looking at the prospect of making my own hinge jig for a job i have coming up,any fellow chippies knocked up their own? is mdf the way to go for this?

cheers

chippie84

2. -chippy_john

-chippy_john New Member

MDF is a bit soft for a jig in the longer scheme of things, but probably OK for a one off jobby.

I made a couple of hinge jigs out of some offcuts of Respatex.(top quality 10mm ply with a laminate face and backing).

3. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Use some scrap hardwood in my opinion, I used to make my own from MDF and they tended not to last too long, I made a hardwood one and it lasted till I bought a Trend.

Do you do a fair few doors? Internals and externals and firedoors? If so take the plunge and get a trend. You wont regret it. Get the two part though.

4. chippie84

chippie84 New Member

have looked at the trend jig nice bit of kit,not all the time i do doors so cant justify investing in 1 right now maybe futher down the line,im thinking by making one for the time being can i devise a slide that would let me do a few different size hinges rather than 1 when making the jig.

chippie84

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I would just make a couple of jigs.

6. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I make all kinds of jigs all the time, from ones for my spindle and thicknesser through to ones for inlay etc, I have probably 50 on my workshop wall, however when a good one is available at a cost that I can make back I will buy it, I reckon it used to take me a couple of hours to make a good accurate hinge jig and I might get a year out of it, so thats around £50 in time a year per jig, one for internals one for externals. To me the benefits far outweigh the costs. One jig for all applications adjustable to all hinge sizes pays for itself within the month

7. busy builder

busy builder New Member

Have a look on the Rutlands web site they have a few in their catalogue at reasonable prices.

8. trowelmeister

trowelmeister New Member

You can buy the cheaper perspex t-tech ones that trend do, you get the metal 75 and 100mm metal templates, screws and guide bush,and you just use it with a short bit of batton clamped to the side, its hard wearing as well, paid £15-£20 for mine off ripbay.I know the big piece of kit they do is great but can you justify paying nearly £200 odd?