Hinge jig

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by constuction man, Jul 6, 2021.

1. Have got a lot of oak doors to fit and thinking of investing in a palm router.
    I'll be able to use the router for other jobs but I'm not keen on spending too much on a jig.
    Anybody got any recommendations?
    I want one that can be used on the door AND on the frame.

Cheers

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Make your own, either a small one for a single hinge or large one the length of the door.

3. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

What length is the door?

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I don't know, I can read the same as you can from the post, hopefully just a bit smaller than the frame? ;) 78 inches is standard height for imperial doors, 2040mm for metric.

masterdiy likes this.
  5. Shytot

Shytot Active Member

6. glob@l

glob@l Active Member

Flush hinges could be an alternative.

7. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

Robin clevette jig.
    I've never used a jig before and this was so easy to use.
    You could buy the trend but it depends on how many doors.
    To only thing with the rc jig is to do the fram you need to screw it or nail it.

I-Man likes this.
  8. Thanks for the replies.
    I've decided I'm going to make my own jig.

Looking into which palm router now. Looking fairly cheap of possible.
    I need a guide bush which they don't seem to come with.
    Any suggestions? Most of my gear is Makita. I'm not bothered if it's cordless or not

9. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Personal experience: corded Bosch palm router pretty good, cordless Dewalt router sublime, difference between the two is several hundred quid. Cordless Makita routers have come down a lot in price over the last couple of years, especially if you already have the batteries and charger. You don't specifically need a palm router, a little 1/4" one would do. Look up Katsu routers online but be prepared to fit a longer lead.

10. jimoz

jimoz Screwfix Select

The little trend 1/4 plunge has served me well for about 70 quid but I bought the cordless mak last weekend on offer with plunge base. The trends can be hit and miss a lot have issues. Warranty though.

11. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

I'm about to invest in a DeWalt palm router which a carpenter at work has... Absolutely joyful bit of kit, sooooo much easier to use than my 1/2 inch plunge router. Expensive, but I'm happy to pay the price as I have quite a few doors to fit in my house

12. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Don't buy a hinge jig - just make one up to suit your router and cutter out of some pieces of scrap - the brown bits below - no guide bush needed!. The U shaped piece restricts the router movement to the precise size needed for the hinges you are fitting. Takes about 5 minutes to make. Clamp to the door. Cut. Rinse and repeat.

jig.jpg

13. GS63

GS63 Active Member

This guy is good with jigs ( he doesn't muck about ).

About 2 minutes in

14. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

I prefer mine. I grimaced when I saw him screwing the jig into the side of the door :eek::eek: Really??

15. Once again, thanks for everyone's replies.
    I think I'm going to buy a Katsu router.
    Any recommendations on bits?