Historic cottages - designer extensions

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by sospan, Jan 29, 2019.

1. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

Browsing through my Readly account, the latest edition of Build It magazine had been published. On the cover was this 400 year old cottage that the new owners had "renovated"

upload_2019-1-29_10-13-13.png

So as well the inconspicuous / subtle extension they have lowered all the downstairs windows to DPC and fitted ultra modern windows and some very nice steps to the front door :oops: without a handrail

The back of the property

upload_2019-1-29_10-19-10.png

I know it is all about personal taste and budget, but I do feel sad when I see a building like this

Kyuss likes this.
  2. Dam0n

Dam0n Active Member

Disgusting.

These buildings should be enjoyed as they are or adapted/extended in keeping with the original building.

The owners should have bought a new build or built the whole property themselves if they wanted to live in a leasure centre.

KIAB, DIY womble and dobbie like this.
  3. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

It would have been cheaper for them as well the build cost and renovation cost over £440,000 excluding the price of the original building

4. Isitreally

Isitreally Well-Known Member

Looks lovely against the hop house in the background. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The architects/planners/building control etc should all be sacked for allowing such a bloody eyesore on the landscape.

b4xtr, KIAB, Jord86 and 1 other person like this.
  5. dobbie

dobbie Well-Known Member

Was just about to post the same thing.
    You see lovely old houses and planners have allowed absolute carbuncles to be built spoiling the look of the whole area.

KIAB and Isitreally like this.
  6. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

What sort of backhanders were flying around to let that abomination be created? They need a boot up their ring so hard it'd rattle their teeth.

KIAB, Isitreally and dobbie like this.
  7. Isitreally

Kevin MaCloud might like it though. :)

KIAB and DIY womble like this.
  8. dobbie

dobbie Well-Known Member

Stopped watching that programme years ago due to the monstrosities they were building.
    I did see a couple of decent builds but most are carp in my opinion.

9. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Totally hideous, shouldn't been allowed,extension should match/complement exsisting house,using a brick to match/or close to orginal,so keeping it's exsisting character.

Real shame when old houses are disfigured.

10. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

It does make you wonder sometimes what goes on with planners. This shed received an enforcement notice

upload_2019-1-29_12-20-7.png

This is outside a small Dr Who museum in the north of England. When the museum is open the Dalek is on show at night they close i t up. Apparently the feather edge boards aren't in keeping with the Grade II listed building. Although, they have no problems with the owner running the museum or parking a dreadful hybrid tardis/DeLoren at the front of the house.

Really bizarre what they object to and what the pass, you see it all the time in Grand Designs some Victorian leafy street with red brick house, full height bay windows and then they allow someone to build a three storey mirror glass cube.

11. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

What reason did they condemned the shed , looks freestanding/ temporary

12. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

"We wish to work with the property owner to resolve this, and we have written to him to advise that this would require planning permission and, due to the listed status of the property, an application is unlikely to be supported"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-46990874

I am quite surprised the house with the extension wasn't listed, at least the outside

DIY womble likes this.
  13. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Planning permission for a bloody garden shed :eek: whatever next ?

14. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

I hope they made good advertising from the press , I'm not visiting if the sheds gone

15. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Well-Known Member

It's a tricky one isn't it? I totally agree with you about the taste thing but what would you do as the contractor?
    Every sinew in your body should be screaming don't do it but if you've got mouths to feed and this is your best client for whom you've done lots of other ordinary work......
    It looks like they've done a good job on the face of it. Shame for the builder that we're all condemning it.
    That doesn't mean I don't think it looks ugly.

DIY womble likes this.
  16. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

It's just not in keeping with the character of the exsisting building.:mad:

17. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

The shed looks a damn sight better than the monstrous extension in the OP.

Isitreally, KIAB and DIY womble like this.
  18. Isitreally

Clearly the museums Brown envelope isn't as big. :rolleyes:

19. Isitreally

This is facing demolition as the council say it didn't have planning to extend it to 45% of its original size.

article-2425348-1BE98728000005DC-245_634x424.jpg

Yet the above (OP) was approved. (Strange world) :rolleyes:

20. Isitreally

This toilet was put in for bus drivers.

Dtmc2mmW4AcVwYn.jpg

Nice and conspicuous don't you think. :D:D