Hive + 230V AC contactor to control Gas central heating + electric towel rails

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Phoceen85, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Phoceen85

Phoceen85 New Member

Hi there,
    We just bought a house which has got gas central heating for most of the rooms, however the main bathroom and the downstairs toilet are fitted with electric towel rails. Both of them can only be switched On/Off via switches (not ideal).

The house didn't have any programmer or thermostat so I've recently purchased the Hive Active Heating devices which work perfectly.

Now, I would like to be able to control my gas central heating & 2 electric towel rails (only electric, not dual fuel) with my Hive Active Heating.
    To achieve this, my plan would be to add a 4NO contactor with a 230V AC control unit (See diagram)
    The contactor will be activated by the Hive Receiver (when ON), which will then switch on the 2 electric towel rails & fire up the boiler

Can anyone please tell me if this will be alright?

Thanks for your help

Romain

Scan_0001.jpg

2. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

Your schematic will work fine, you need to be sure the supply is sufficient for the two towel rails, I would have a 5A fuse by way of a switched fusedspur in place of the switch you show to protect the low current items (hive, boiler electronics and contactor coil)

3. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Also make sure the hive is capable of switching the contactor, it will be quite inductive.