Hive heating help

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by I-Man, Jul 3, 2020.

1. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

Hi, after some advice please.

House i've bought currently has an old "regular" boiler, with header tanks and cylinder in the loft. Am changing over to a system boiler, and getting an indirect unvented h/w cylinder instead. Also fitting wet underfloor heating downstairs, with rads upstairs only.

Now I've been given a new Hive heating only thermostat, and wondering whether this will work for my setup - as i understand the hot water function in the Hive is not needed as the H/w cylinder will just keep the temp as needed. The underfloor heating system has it's own thermostats also, so think the Hive will just control the upstairs rads only?

Any guidance would be appreciated, thanks! Hope I can use the Hive above as opposed to buying the one with HW too?

2. robgul

robgul Active Member

When you say "Hive thermostat" do you mean just that? - i.e. have you also got the hub that the thermostat (and your wifi set up) talks to - it's the "wiring centre" for the system in old parlance.

If you look at the Hive website there are some pretty clear instructions for installation of the various options - IIRc it's a) heating only with a combi boiler; b) heating and HW with a vented system; c) heating and HW for an unvented system. There's also a Hive online community forum that is pretty good at answering questions.

We've just moved house from a Hive/combi setup - brought the thermostat (only) with us and had to buy the heating/unvented HW "hub" (to replace some ancient Drayton controls that didn't really work very well)

Rob

3. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

Hi, yes i've got the whole Hive pack - thermostat, Hub and Receiver. Will have a look over on the Hive forums also, cheers

4. robgul

robgul Active Member

Sorry I should have said "hub" and "receiver" being 2 separate items.

Note: I got caught out with the system not functioning properly when the new installation was made .... there was a Hive s/w upgrade that was required (even though hub/receiver were bought that day - from Screwfix) - it took a little while for Hive HQ to recognise the new installation and auto-send the update.

Rob

5. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

You need the twin channel one with multi zone.
    You want 3 zones.
    Hot water
    Radiator
    Underfloor.

6. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

Hi Mike - the underfloor heating comes with it's own wifi thermostats anyway - i guess getting multi zone is an option so all the heating is controlled through one system, but dont believe it's necessary.

Back to the hot water - again wondering do i really NEED to control the hot water timings? Can't i let the cylinder maintain it's temp once i set it's thermostat?

thanks

7. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

You’ll need a zone valve to control the flow of water through the cylinder coil.
    The cylinder stat will control the zone valve.
    If your not wanting to change hive you could just buy a cheap programmer or reuse your existing one for the hot water only.

8. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

the new cylinder will have a zone valve included in the pack - i'll let the guys do their work and see where we end up. If i have to end up changing the hive for one that does h/w too, then so be it.

Cheers anyway for your response