Hive installation with Biasi combi boiler

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by bikerjodie, Aug 28, 2018.

1. bikerjodie

bikerjodie New Member

I have a Biasi combi boiler and a Hive 2 unit (I think), I have wired it up according to other forums Live and Neutral in the first 2 ports, then the thermostat wires in 1 (common) and 3 (boiler off).

I'll upload a picture to show what I mean.

when I press the central heating button on the hive receiver the boiler doesn't switch on, but when I turn on the hot water nothing happens, when I turn off the hot water button the boiler switches on, pushing the hot water button again (on) the boiler switches off...... I don't get it at all.

Can anyone help?

2. bikerjodie

bikerjodie New Member

3. bikerjodie

bikerjodie New Member

From the picture of the boiler, the bottom connector block has the black connecting wire taken out and the wires to the hive receiver added

4. peter palmer

peter palmer Super Member

Has the boiler got an onboard clock and is it set to constant.

5. bikerjodie

bikerjodie New Member

no not constant as such, it has a timer button, but when I set it to timer and press the on button, the central heating works but it isn't controlled by the hive box
    Weird that at this point I can turn it off and on using the hot water button.

6. bikerjodie

bikerjodie New Member

it does have a clock but I have reset the panel and not set the clock, will it be as simple as that?

7. peter palmer

Not too sure, maybe you have to remove the onboard timer altogether for the external controls to work, you do with the Worecester boilers. Was there not a thermostat connected to the boiler previously.

8. bikerjodie

bikerjodie New Member

There was a thermostat connected previously and it was a wireless Honeywell one that operated similarly to the hive (albeit without the ability to control it via smartphone).
    I've set the time and date function and it's doing the same, I switch on the timer function (via boiler) and the boiler fires up, I can then switch it off using the hive receiver but by pressing the hot water button!!!

9. peter palmer

So where was the honeywell one connected to the boiler, if that worked without any issue the the hive would as well if its connected to the same terminals.

I'm not too familiar with the hive controller though but you mention "the hot water button" so I assume its a twin channel controller (CH and DHW) yet the diagram you posted only has terminals for a single Chanel one.

10. bikerjodie

bikerjodie New Member

it is a dual channel but it's been suggested that the way it's connected it is single channel so I don't understand why the hot water button works anything unless I have a faulty unit

11. peter palmer

Has your back plate got the same number of terminals as the one you pictured or is it the twin channel plate.

[​IMG]

12. bikerjodie

bikerjodie New Member

13. peter palmer

Maybe you have been told wrong.

14. bikerjodie

bikerjodie New Member

I've looked at a few forums and only had it wired up according to others with the same setup. The hot water isn't controlled by the hive so I don't understand why that button has any function.
    I appreciate you trying to help though, and can only thank you for being the first person to try to assist me.

15. peter palmer

Ok I'll try again, you have a Hive controller that is able to do both heating and hot water, the wiring diagram for the dual channel one is above. If you press the hot water on button pin 3 on the back plate becomes live, you have this connected to the brown in the boiler which is most likely a 230V permanent supply, this will make no difference to what the boiler does.

If you press the hot water off button pin 1 will become live on the back plate and you have this one connected to the blue wire in the boiler, this must be the switched live for the boiler to turn it on.

The hive can have no way of knowing that you have a single channel combi boiler wired to the back plate - unless there are setting in the menu that you can configure to change the outputs, I'm not sure - If I'm wrong then its a hell of a coincidence that when you press the HW off button your boiler fires isn't it.

Also you say there was a previous stat connected that worked fine, I presume it was connected to the same bottom two terminals in the boiler as your hive, the only thing I don't get is if there was a previous stat fitted, why is the link still in the bottom block, it should have been taken out long ago.

16. peter palmer

Just found this

https://www.avforums.com/threads/wiring-of-a-smart-thermostat.2053101/

its not even a picture of your boiler is it.

Listen to me, I'm right, the others are wrong. Link the blue wire in the bottom terminal to pin 4 on the back plate and remove the one that is connected to the brown entirely. If nothing happens swap the wire in the boiler bottom terminal from the blue to the brown side.

17. bikerjodie

bikerjodie New Member

it's the exact same as my boiler and the same hive unit.

I will try what you have suggested but you are correct in saying the hive is for hot water and central heating but the back plate has the same terminals which clearly mean something different.

18. bikerjodie

bikerjodie New Member

both the wires blue and brown in the bottom black were connected to my old wireless controller and it worked well....

19. bikerjodie

bikerjodie New Member

just tried what you suggested and no matter what wire going into number 4, the boiler didn't do anything, I disconnected the other wire whilst I used one wire ie, connected the blue wire to 4 and disconnected the brown wire from the boiler bottom terminal, then I switched over, connected the brown wire to 4 and disconnected the blue wire. The boiler isn't firing up in manual mode from the boiler either......

20. peter palmer

Did you have the timer set to always on/constant when you tried it. For the boiler to fire it needs both the timer to be in the on position and the brown/blue wires in the bottom block to be bridged somehow with either a link or controller. Ideally if this is the case you cant go much further without a volt meter to check things out.

All I can say is I've wired up countless heating systems from a basic combi boiler to the most complicated of commercial systems and I've never been defeated yet by one. In fact I traced a fault and repaired a commercial system last year for a couple of hundred quid where the manufacturer wanted £5K just to come out and look at it, so without trying to sound big headed, I still think I'm right and you are doing something wrong or something is faulty.