Hive installation with Biasi combi boiler

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by bikerjodie, Aug 28, 2018.

1. bikerjodie

bikerjodie New Member

set the clock and put the timer to on constant, the boiler didn't do anything. Would connecting the other wire to Heating off or on (no 2) work?

2. bikerjodie

bikerjodie New Member

I haven't 'bridged' the blue/brown wires but I do have a multimeter although not sure how to use it properly.....

3. bikerjodie

bikerjodie New Member

I have the wrong hive (which I didn't think was possible) I don't have a separate water tank and I have the hive unit for hot water and central heating.....I'm assuming this isn't compatible with my combi boiler?

4. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

Combi boilers supply hot water and heating.
    Therefore you need a Hi
    I would suggest swapping over the red and orange wires.
    One would assume the brown wire is 230V and it may be the Hive controller needs the 230V for the switch to operate?

5. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

I've just found this diagram whilst having a quick search for you.

[​IMG]

http://www.alswebpage.net/hive-with-installation-with-a-vaillant-ecotec-plus-824/

Its for a valiant boiler but the principle is the same, terminals 3 and 4 are the same as your brown/blue with the link in.

It seems looking at that picture that pin 1 (hot water off) is actually being used as the common in a volt free contact - this means that pin 4 will not output anything if there is nothing going to pin 1. This seems odd to me as its classed as a normally closed contact in relation to the (L) connection.

Personally I've never connected a hive up so don't know for certain and if I had problems like this I would wire it up temporary with a test lead coming out of the hive and get my meter on it to see what is doing what. You need to see if pin 4 has 230V output when the hive is switched on, if not you need to see if there is continuity between pin1 and pin 4 when the hive is on.

I would have to scratch my head when doing something like this so I don't know how a DIYer is supposed to get it right.

6. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

7. bikerjodie

bikerjodie New Member

Thanks for all your help, I'm off work today so I will try the suggestions to see if I can get it working....

8. bikerjodie

bikerjodie New Member

I'll try to connect my brown/blue wires to the 1 and 4 position to see if this works and I'll report back

9. bikerjodie

bikerjodie New Member

This makes the hot water button functional controlling the central heating but in the opposite way
    Hive hot water light on = no central heating
    Hive hot water light off = central heating on

10. bikerjodie

bikerjodie New Member

When I was moving the hive unit, the back plate moved slightly away from the unit and the heating came on, I disconnected all the wires at the back and reconnected then (N and L) then the black and brown wires from the boiler to terminals 2 and 4 on the hive, made sure all the connections were tight and squished the gold connectors together (that locate onto the front plate once connected), then put it all together and the central heating button works on the hive and controls the boiler!!

Thanks for all your help, especially Peter Palmer, who has persevered with me through all this, and I believe the connectors on the back plate weren't making a good enough connection with the Hive front plate!!

11. Tuharax

Tuharax New Member

I need to do this with my boiler can anyone tell me which type of wires I can buy to run between terminal blocks and my hive as the poster drew in his pic?

12. drety

drety Member

13. Tuharax

Tuharax New Member

14. Tuharax

Tuharax New Member

Nvm that’s for all of them 5 wires 5 connections.I will remove the bottom wires from the top terminal replace with live/nuet/ earth from the ‘new 5 core. Wire these into the hive appropriate ports. Then remove the link from the bottom one and wire in two spare ones to the top of the block my guess is blue if on grey is off as blue was linked to the red controls wire
    [​IMG]

https://ibb.co/TrkVz45

15. Rayray1805

Rayray1805 New Member

So for anyone still struggling, I followed the above methods and nothing worked, this is what worked for me. Pin 1 and 3 on the hive into brown and blue into the boiler. Pin 1 going to brown and pin 3 going to blue. The boiler needs to be on the Timer setting which is at the bottom and then needs to be on permanently.

Some of the other options were working but the on and off was opposite, meaning when hive was on the boiler was off, and when hive was off boiler was on.

Also remember the hive takes a few seconds to turn the boiler on so don't rush it thinking it's not coming on.

Attached Files:

16. M.A GAS

M.A GAS New Member

Hi is that the wiring for a hive single channel receiver, if not do you have any diagrams or pictures to wire it into a dual channel receiver.

Thanks in advance.

17. M.A GAS

M.A GAS New Member

Hi is that the wiring for a hive single channel receiver, if not do you have any diagrams or pictures to wire it into a dual channel receiver.

Thanks in advance.

18. M.A GAS

M.A GAS New Member

Thanks in advance.