Hive pass through plug to FCU

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Edmandoza, Apr 8, 2022.

1. Edmandoza

Edmandoza New Member

Hello!
    A friends dad has come to me (apprentice spark) after an electrician had gone round a fitted up down lights on the outside of his property to a fused spur inside the garage.
    This has caused an inconvenience where they have to manually go into the garage to turn these lights on or off.
    So they want to add a pass through hive plug to this circuit so they can control it remotely.
    The only way I can see to do this is to remove the cable from the adjacent double socket feeding the spur and to replace it with a plug and flex to the spur instead.
    This then poses my question, if I use this method is the fused spur still required or can I use a 3amp fuse in the plug instead, or do I run the flex into the flex outlet of the spur and terminate it in the supply end instead of the load.
    Do I replace the spur with a junction box and just use the plug as a fuse instead??

As you can see I’ve cause myself some confusion on this one!

2. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

I guess that the source double socket is on a higher current MCB?
    If so, the FCU is limiting the current to 3amp the downlights.
    Easiest method is, as you suggest, replace the FCU with a plug with a 3A fuse. And plug that in to the Hive socket.

What sort of cable is connected to the FCU? If it is twin and earth you should remember that twin and earth is not suitable for connecting to a plug, so you may need a junction box and a length of 3-core flex to the plug.

Edmandoza likes this.
  3. Edmandoza

Edmandoza New Member

It is a higher current MCB yes, I think that’s probably the best then, remove the spur and junction box it with the plug. It is currently flat twin and earth but I will definitely swap out for 3 core flex for the plug.

Bazza likes this.
  4. Ad_g

Ad_g Active Member

Bazza’s suggestion sounds exactly what I have in my garage for the lights powered from there for the drive.

Socket off one of the garage circuits with the Hive plugged into it. A 13A plug 3A fuse then has a short flex into a junction box for connection to the T&E to the lights.

Has all been working well for the last few years.

Edmandoza and Bazza like this.