Hive receiver move

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Retired62, Oct 9, 2019 at 12:01 PM.

1. Retired62

Retired62 New Member

Just had boiler moved into loft to allow extension to be built, heating engineer put Hive receiver next to boiler. As the receiver has the manual push button to turn heating on if anything goes wrong with system, I was thinking of moving it to a downstairs cupboard next to a fused outlet, as it has 5 core round cable (4 plus earth), what size cable should I use, would 1mm2 be ok.

2. Mike83

Mike83 Well-Known Member

It probably depends on the length of the cable.
    I would think it would be fine.

3. Retired62

Retired62 New Member

Cable length will be about 8 metres.

4. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

It's most likely on a 3a or 5a fuse in which case the 1mm will be fine.

5. peter palmer

peter palmer Well-Known Member

Even 0.75 flex is more than adequate but it depends on how its been wired, is these already a spur next to the boiler for power? you suggest powering it from a spur in a cupboard instead, it would be a bad idea to power the hive from one spur and the boiler from a different one, would give someone a nasty surprise if they thought they isolated everything at the boiler but another supply was live elswhere.

Best way would be to leave the spur in the loft and run a 5 core down the hive and power it just from the 5 core flex.