Hive receiver wiring help

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Jamiemckenzie, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Jamiemckenzie

Jamiemckenzie New Member

Hi,

I'm just trying to wire my Hive receiver. It's just a simple set up at the min. Boiler to wired thermostat. See pictures you can tell what one the old thermostat is.
    I do only have 3 wires plus a earth which I believe you don't really need. L N and I presume 3 is a switch for the boiler.

I've followed the wiring diagram but when I press the central heating button on reciever the boiler does not fire up as it says it should in the instructions.
    I've took a link from L to COM as I thought I would need this. Ive attached pictures of my old thermostat and new receiver. I have not install receiver against the wall on the pic as I am moving it closer to the boiler and want to ensure it works first.
    I've also I attached a pic of the existing wiring diagram for my thermostat and wiring for new receiver. It's abit unusual but they have the L cable as black rather than Brown which is abit strange.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

What make and model of boiler do you have.
    Do you have a programmer?

3. Jamiemckenzie

Jamiemckenzie New Member

Robbie, I've wired the black into the L port of the receiver?

Regards

4. Sorry my mistake,I would check anyway as it would not make any difference on the old stat.
    I Need to go to specsavers.

5. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

The black needs to be a permanent live.
    Usually it only becomes live once a programmer is switched on.

6. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

........as Mike says. And he did ask you before for good reasons.....
    If you have a programmer, and it is still in circuit, you will have to set it to constantly on, or the timings on that will over-ride the Hive.

7. Jamiemckenzie

Jamiemckenzie New Member

Hi,
    Boiler is a worcester 29 cc1 boiler,
    This does have a timer. Would you suggest to have the timings to constantly on?

8. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Do you not read the advice you are being given.?
    My post #6 above says just that.

9. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Leaving the timer constantly on will give the hive it's permanent
    live that it requires.
    Turning the timer off will kill the live to the hive.

10. Jamiemckenzie

Jamiemckenzie New Member

Spot on thanks will try that tomorrow.

11. Jamiemckenzie

Jamiemckenzie New Member

20180313_170949_resized.jpg Hi, have not had to have another go of wiring receiver yet but I've took a pic of the boiler wiring.
    Brown from spur socket goes to L, then blue from spur socket to neutral.

Then going to thermostat at the min is blue from N, black from Ls then brown from Lr.
    Looking at the pictures from earlier and from this, would you still suggest it wasnt working due to the timer not being permantly on or switch any wires around?

Thanks

12. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Wires are correct.
    The black into Ls supplies the room stat with power only when the programmer is at 'on' or on a timed period.
    So when the programmer is off the stat won't have any power.

Leave the programmer at on permanently. Then wire up your stat just as you thought.

13. Tony2020

Tony2020 New Member

Hi Mike ,

Can you help ?

I have 2 myson heating zones thermostats , one lower ground which controls the lower ground and ground level and then zone 2 which controls the upper level only. I have the hot water mysons thermostat in the utility room which only appears to control

The hot water settings.

I have two wires coming out from the upstairs mysons thermostat which appear to be live and neutral. I tried to install and replace the myson thermostat with the hive multi-zone receiver but since there are only two wires coming out how do I do the install in order to comtrol the heating on and off ? Do I need to bridge connections from the live wire ? Any help would be greatly appreciated

14. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

If you only have two conductors then none of those will be a neutral. They will probably be live and call for heat (ie switched live).
    You’ll probably need to run a new cable with more cores, or locate the Hive at the wiring centre.

15. Tony2020

Tony2020 New Member

Bassam thanks for replying. If I take out the black wire the first one to the left hand side in the picture then the hive thermostat doesn’t power on. I checked The brown wire and it’s live for sure.

Attached Files:

16. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Aren’t there three conductors there, one black, two brown?

17. Tony2020

Tony2020 New Member

Only two wires Bazza, it’s that myson wiresless thermomstat, live and I was told the black isn’t neutral but switch wire

18. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Is the picture of the Myson back plate, before you did anything?

19. Tony2020

Tony2020 New Member

Yes there is let me see if I can get the picture from the net. Not home atm but will be in an hour.

20. Tony2020

Tony2020 New Member

Bazza I have uploaded a pic of the back plate wireing. The wires in this pic are different colour than my one.

Attached Files: