Hive Wiring

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by Kevin Judge, Dec 8, 2018 at 4:57 PM.

1. Kevin Judge

Kevin Judge New Member

Hi

I'm attempting to install Hive - not to save money but I just want to do it myself!

Details:

Combi boiler with seperate hot water tank.
    Thermostat on wall underneath boiler (appalling placement but there you go).
    Timer box again underneath boiler.

I've looked at the wiring documentation in the installation guide - Live and Neutral are fine - I also have hot water and heating off behind the existing timer box. My question is - the wires that go to the current thermostat are they effectively the hot water and heating off wires?

If they are all I have to do is reroute the wires from the current thermostat to the Hive backing box and hey presto - if not then I'm confused .

I've attached pictures of the current wiring. 20181208_165139.jpg 20181208_165615.jpg

Any help gratefully received.

2. Mike83

Mike83 Well-Known Member

What make and model of boiler do you have?
    The current wiring doesn't make much sense. Usually combis and water tanks don't work together though not impossible.
    What model of hive are you attempting to install?

3. Kevin Judge

Kevin Judge New Member

Hi Mike thanks for the reply.

Boiler is a Worcester Greenstar 40CDI.

Hive is Dual Receiver Active Heating.

20181208_225617.jpg

4. Kevin Judge

Kevin Judge New Member

Also just realised I said it was a combi boiler which is probably not helping! Its not I have a hot water tank.

5. Mike83

Mike83 Well-Known Member

I’m guessing you have a Y plan system. Basically one valve with 3 ports (pipes into it).
    The hive receiver will plug directly into the existing programmer backplate. No modifications required.
    The thermostat is no longer required though.
    Either this can be linked out in the wiring centre.
    Or the common and switched live behind the stat can be joined together.

This is fairly straightforward but the wiring is a bit of a mess. If a pro came in the roomstat could be completely removed and the cable to the programmer/receiver replaced.

That’s a fair sized boiler you have.

6. Kevin Judge

Kevin Judge New Member

Yeah its a fair sized house - used to be a hotel so it has part commercial plumbing with a commwrcial meter whoch has tripped me up a couple of times already since moving in around a month ago.

So...I've literally just swapped the controller boxes over (the old manual one for the hive one) and all seems to be working perfectly with regard to things coming on and off. Only iasue now is that its seemingly taking no notice of the thermostat temperature I set on the hive thermostat - I've done nothing with the old thermostat thats mounted under the boiler - do you reckon if I just remove the wiring to it that will solve it?

Thanks for your help by the way - it's gratefully received.

7. Mike83

Mike83 Well-Known Member

The existing stat is still part of the wiring circuit. Basically if the stat is turned down it will turn the heating off.
    The hive receiver is wired through the old stat.
    I would remove the cover off the stat and maybe join the wires together.

8. Mike83

Mike83 Well-Known Member

What do you mean by ‘taking no notice of the thermostat temperature’.

9. Kevin Judge

Kevin Judge New Member

What I mean by that is the boiler is clearly going off the existing thermostat as I had Hive set to go to 22 degrees and it switched off before it got there (19) - when that happened I played with the exisiting thermostat and when it clicked the boiler fired up again.
    You will see from the second picture I posted I can just remove it from the wiring junction box.

10. Mike83

Mike83 Well-Known Member

You can’t remove it in the junction box without altering the wiring.
    The stat may or may not have a neutral.
    The other 2 wires from the stat into the junction box need to be altered in some way so that they’re in the same terminal. So if you remove both these wires you will either need to put a bit wire between the 2 terminals or put the 2 wires that the 2 wires joined onto into the same terminal.

Hope that makes sense as it’s crystal in my head.

11. Kevin Judge

Kevin Judge New Member

Unfortunately not as clear in my head!

12. Mike83

Mike83 Well-Known Member

Remove the cover off the old room thermostat and post a picture of it and it’s wiring.

13. Kevin Judge

Kevin Judge New Member

14. Kevin Judge

Kevin Judge New Member

There you go - I was just wondering it I unwire the old stat (got the lingo now ) from the main junction box would it use the Hive stat instead of being overridden by the existing one? Or is it more complicated than that?

15. Mike83

Mike83 Well-Known Member

Also take a photo of the rear of the cover. It may show a wiring diagram.
    What coloured wire on the thermostat joins into the blues in the wiring centre?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018 at 6:27 PM
  16. Kevin Judge

Kevin Judge New Member

17. Mike83

Mike83 Well-Known Member

What you basically need to do now is remove this cable (all 4 wires).
    Also remove all 4 wires from this cable inside the wiring centre.
    But the terminals were the brown and grey were replace this with a bit wire. Ideally brown.

18. Kevin Judge

Kevin Judge New Member

There's the diagram from the back of the stat.

Wires wise the black from the stat goes into a load of blues.

19. Mike83

Mike83 Well-Known Member

From left to right on the wiring centre do terminals 4 and 5 go to 1 and 3 on the room stat

20. Kevin Judge

Kevin Judge New Member

They certainly seem to yes 20181210_195512.jpg