Hive with Combi Compact ECO RF 24

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by nick.mani, Nov 21, 2020 at 9:19 AM.

1. nick.mani

nick.mani New Member

2. nick.mani

nick.mani New Member

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help me with this.

How do I install Hive with this type of a boiler safely?

Cheers, Nick

3. nick.mani

nick.mani New Member

4. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

You ideally want the single channel hive.
    Have you already purchased the twin channel version?

2 methods to connect it up on the boiler.

5. nick.mani

nick.mani New Member

Hi Mike. Thank you very much for replying.

I bought the twin channel version unknowingly.

What do you suggest I need to do now please? Thank you

6. robgul

robgul Active Member

.... either take it back and swap it for the combi version - or join the Hive online community and ask the question there (first option is the one if you can)

7. nick.mani

nick.mani New Member

Great advice. I will send it back. Thank you.

Once I have the right version ie the single channel, how do I set it up please? Many thanks

8. nick.mani

nick.mani New Member

I was also wondering if you would recommend Honeywell Home T6R Wireless Smart Thermostat instead? This is considering that this boiler seems to support OpenTherm?

Is there any advantages/disadvantages with both options? Cheers

9. robgul

robgul Active Member

From experience just use the Hive thermostat (it's wireless so simple to site where you like. . . . and on the installation question the in-box instructions are pretty clear.

I'm a bit of a Hive fan - had it for about 5 years at our previous house with a Combi and first thing we did at the new house (separate CH & HW) in Feb 20 was to fit Hive - and we have about 5 Hive bulbs and 4 plug/sockets. The timing is very flexible - easy to set from phone, PC etc from anywhere in the world.

10. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

If you have the single channel hive the 1&3 on the hive would go to either 1&3 (230vac) or 6&7 (24vdc) on the boiler.
    The hive would also require a LNE.

How do you currently turn the heating on and off?

11. nick.mani

nick.mani New Member

That's great thank you.

So just to check the heating off and heating on will need to be connected to the 1-3 or 6-7 on X2 panel? Does it matter which, or is it trial and error?

Additionally, there is a another bit on a single hive from the manual called common. Not sure what that is?

You mean completely turning the boiler off? It has a switch on it, but I think I can turn it off from the switch board.

Thank you very much once again for the advice.

12. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

I mean how do turn the heating on when you require it? Do you have a timer or stat.
    Terminals 1 and 3 on the hive go to 1&3 or 6&7 on the boiler.

13. nick.mani

nick.mani New Member

That's great. Cheers.

We have a thermostat that came with the boiler, a simple Honeywell that is terrible and complicated to function or programme

14. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Is it a wireless one?
    It’s probably binded with the boiler.
    May need to be removed first.

15. nick.mani

nick.mani New Member

Yes, it is wireless.

How would I be able to remove it please?

16. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

17. nick.mani

nick.mani New Member

Thank you so much. Appreciate your help and input. Will hopefully get the new set of hive monday/Tuesday, and get on with installing it.

One last question, the main cable to the main from the boiler gets extended in a square box outside the boiler. Presumably I put live and neutral of both, which make it 2x each in the appropriate labelled place together in the hive star, and then have 2x seoerate/other wires running to the 1 and 3 or 6-7 as suggested.

18. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

You can take it from there.

19. nick.mani

nick.mani New Member

upload_2020-11-22_9-2-2.png

20. nick.mani

nick.mani New Member

Mike this is the plan I have drawn before hive arrives. Is this ok?