HM Government how to make your home more efficient!!!

Discussion in 'Eco Talk' started by MGW, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

I know the feeling. £40 for an absolutely worthless bit of paper that noone take a blind bit of notice of.

2. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

Somebody who buys the house gains immediately but I suspect they wont cover the cost of having it all installed as it wont save them much either.

John
    -

3. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

Had to pay out for mother's house, needed the paperwork to sell house, however note there is a on line energy performance certificate for my house, I have never asked for one to be done, had the house from new 1980 build. The phone number for assessor is Wigan but house in North Wales, it's not far off but says no secondary form of heating, but there is, there is a gas fire, dated 30th May 2016 at that time house was not being used. My father-in-laws house was next door but one he had solar water heating and is one point different to my house. He also had triple glazing. But being just one point apart and it says my house will cost £1000 per 3 years more to run than his, which is likely correct at time due to my door having a draft, but that's not down on the report that I need a new door.

4. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Y Mine is a 1930s semi. Recommended cavity wall (and we know how successful that has been on older properties), and solar panels, which I think are absolutely carp on any roof, but particularly a slate roof. And they recommended more LED bulbs. Not one viewer ever asked about it.

5. Joey__

Joey__ Member

It's not madness at all and it's people like you who are killing this planet. the cost is not just financial so don't be so selfish and think about future generations not oldies like yourself

6. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

In the main it is madness, unfortunately governments don't always get it right, not so long ago diesel was good, then they changed their mind, and this happens again and again, so one has to use ones own common sense and not simple follow the herd. So insulations is clearly going to help, and so is a heat recovery unit, as long as in installing them it does not cause other problems like damp.

As to solar heating in Turkey they use it to heat the DHW very successfully, but we live further north, and I know from bitter experience, it simply did not work, it was simply a money making exercise for the installers. Electric solar panels may work, and because the loses roof to water store is less then using electric panels to heat water may work, and this is where it all starts to fall down.

Electric energy is very controllable and must be one of the best ways to heat the home, however it is also likely the most expensive.

I can save all the energy I use, it is called Euthanasia and is at the moment illegal, some where between that, and living in a tent, there has to be a happy medium, let him without waste cast the first selfish comment. Not seen many of the save the planet brigade living in two up two down houses within walking distance of their work.

7. Joey__

Joey__ Member

If the soldiers of world war 1 and 2 had your selfish attitude you would be typing in german

8. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

joey sir its not the people its industry that needs to act been in it for a long time you would not belive it

9. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

How do you figure out I am an “oldie”?
    On your point you are trying to make about saving the planet - by presumably adapting to methods of energy saving, -
    Do you not consider all the costs to the planet there is involved to repair and replace these so called “energy saving” experimental systems?
    The real saving for homes to date has been the construction of the buildings

10. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

So any home without insulation should be condemned and considered as uninhabitable and it should be demolished and new built, this is what happens with many commercial buildings, building which attracted awards for energy saving in 1970 today are demolished and rebuilt as uneconomic to heat today.

But even without demolishing buildings we have a homeless problem, to condemn old buildings because of heating will mean even more people are homeless, once there are no homeless people we can start to consider demolishing old buildings, but until then we must consider the plight of our fellow man, and put energy saving second.

11. Peter208

Peter208 Active Member

Interesting to read people's input, sorry Joe, not yours. We were interested in having some cavity wall insulation installed. Our house is a 1930 ish build and we did our own simple research regarding the foam injection into the cavity and any known side effects. We came to the conclusion that it was not worth the possible problems that this type of insulation can cause. A mate was a government adviser on energy in the 1990. He had solar panels installed during work to extend is house. I asked him about the saving v cost and his best answer was, the price of energy will always go up.....even I new that!

12. BikerChris

BikerChris Active Member

@MGW - you said: may be a heat recovery unit, however the government does not recommend a heat recovery unit, but does recommend solar water heating, so does that mean a heat recovery unit is less efficient than a water solar panel?.

Is it because it takes ages for them to verify the facts may be? I know about heat recovery and they're pretty good compared, so I can't think of any other reason

Agree with Peter208, interesting read.

I work on houses from average to high end, it seems that eco solutions like solar, air/ground source and another that I forget, cost a lot of money up front and takes a long time to recover that.

Would it be sensible to have a policy that says that houses that cost say £2,000,000 or more, must have some sort of eco heating/cooling? I only say this because I've been to some places with outdoor tennis courts that have underfloor heating. Others that pay £300 or more a month to keep a swimming pool heated, wouldn't it be good if people that can afford things like that, spent 25-50k on a self sufficient system? I might say that because I will never own a place worth 2 million, but surely if a person owned a place with that value, spending that extra is no worries at all.

It's only a thought really. I suppose there might be the problem where people try to avoid doing it by keeping the price slightly below, then the price of property changes and all that. May be it could be based on square footage or something instead. Just thoughts!