HOB and oven wiring

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Grant Lithgow, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Grant Lithgow

Grant Lithgow Member

Hi
    I know this has been discussed before but just wanted to check I am doing the correct thing

I have a Beko Oven and hob pack which I am going to install.

The oven is rated at min needed 13 Amps and the hob needs 25 Amps

I have a 45 Amp breaker in the consumer unit with 6 mm2 cable going to 45Amp double pole cooker switch. From there ther will be 6mm2 cable going to a 45 apmp dual appliance oultlet plate.

I plan to connect the Hob to this plate and connect a 13 amp spur using 6 mm2 cable from the outlet to the spur for the oven.

Does this sound OK

2. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Yes, just connect both appliances to the same dual outlet plate. Cookers and hobs are fixed loads with a diversity allowance, in other words, neither will ever be used at maximum load. If the oven is supplied with a flex attached, terminate it in the dual outlet plate, and take a 6mm2 T&E to the hob as you've correctly mentioned.

3. Grant Lithgow

Grant Lithgow Member

so do not need to protect the oven wiring with a 13 amp fuse

4. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

No. It wont pull more than its designed to pull. You cannot overload the flex. The presence of the 13A fuse in the plug is because that's how all plugs are supplied. It has no bearing on protecting the flex, the flex will be sized for the oven.

5. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Most howdens ovens now have label on them saying do not fit plug

6. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Are you sure the breaker is 45A?. Thats too much for 6mm cable IMO.