Hole in a wall for Extractor fan

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by crackers, Feb 28, 2011.

1. crackers

crackers New Member

Hi
    I have recently purchased an Xpelair extractor fan and it suggests a hole of 184 mm. I cannot find a core drill of that size from hire centres. Are there any suggestions for achieving this hole size, or is it down to manual hammer and chissel, or partial core then hammer. Does a core drill this size exist anyway?
    I would appreciate help on this one.

Many thanks

2. jj build

jj build Member

you could use a small long sds bit and drill the shape of the hole, with the small holes as close as posible and then nock it out. most extractors use a 100mm hole

3. Does it really have to be that size, crackers? Is the ducting length just going to be a wall thickness? Can't you just drill and fit a 100mm duct and then 'mate' your extractor to it?

4. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

These big fans need big ducting, I always stitch drill around then chisel out, not much worse than core drilling to be honest.

5. glnta

glnta Member

HEAR HEAR, DRILL THEN HAMMER AND CHISEL, NEVER USED A CORE DRILL FOR LARGE HOLES.