Hole in brick - damp inside

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by WDWGunner25, Mar 15, 2020.

1. WDWGunner25

WDWGunner25 Member

Morning all,

Well by now I’m sure our house is becoming well known on here so I’ve previously asked about damp coming through a single skinned wall in the extension of our house we just bought.

Well I think I MAY have found at least a bit of the cause of the damp and I wanted an idea of just how big job this may be.

Basically before we had our survey I asked the surveyor to look at a section of external wall between the conservatory and extension, as it was obvious water was running down it due to bad guttering. He advised that whilst all single skinned walls are prone to damp and condensation there was nothing significant at the moment and walls sound etc, so we bought the house planning to fix it up with cavity walls etc.

Anyway moved in found damp on other side of wall, in cupboards etc. Have today had a proper look at the wall myself and there is a HUGE hole in the bottom brick! And not having much of an idea with this I don’t know how large a job it is to fix it!

I’ve attached pics below. We have fixed the guttering issue and had a proper downpipe AWAY from the wall (other side of conservatory actually) but you can see the damage old and new. The one with the huge hour glass shaped stain has still been damp and is the lowest cupboard.

Just very stressed as we specially asked our surveyor about this and a hole in the wall seems an obvious thing to see even at ground level. In the larger picture you can see a grey brick, the hole is behind that - I’ve just put that there for now for protection until I know what the next step in. Am also booking in a damp survey and have a good dehumidifier in the utility running to dry out what’s already there

Cheers

James

Attached Files:

2. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

Don't panic. "Damp Surveys" should be called 'Inviting a criminal to steal from you through your ignorance'.

You don't need one. Use your brains and you'll be fine.

I'm afraid I can't make out much from your photos, but if there's a hole in a brick wall, a bag of mortar mix and a trowel will fix it. You've already found out the reason for the dampness. All you've got to do now is repair it.