Hole in Steel Tank

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Sam, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Sam

Sam Guest

Just tried to change a ball valve on an old steel water storage tank and the nut and thread are corroded and seized. After trying to undo it for 45 minutes I gave up. The only solution now is to make another hole, fit a new valve and extend the cold feed.

Does anyone please have any advice on the best way of puting a suitable size hole to fit a ball valve into the side of a steel tank taking into consideration that the tank is in situ in the loft.

Thankyou for any help.

2. danjo

danjo New Member

If were me I'd hacksaw through the old ball valve and use the existing hole.

3. Bahco

Bahco Guest

Can you not just change the float arm by undoing the large round nut by the actual valve by hand.
    There is no need (normally) to undo the connection on the threaded part of the float valve.
    Try it if you haven't already knackered it in frustration!

4. Sam

Sam Guest

Thankyou for the responses.

There is no way to hacksaw through the existing valve as the two nuts holding it to the tank are stuck fast together. Also the outside edge of the tank has a steel lip. I can get the valve off the inlet body but the new valve doesn't fit the inlet thread of the new valve as the old valve is very old.

The last thing I want to do is drill another hole but I really can't think of another option ?

5. danjo

danjo New Member

Try heating the nuts with a blow-torch.

6. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges New Member

Put a cutting disk in an angle grinder and take the nuts off with the end of the bolts?

7. h0bbiest

h0bbiest New Member

If you don't have an angle grinder try cutting the nuts with a hacksaw. You may need to saw into the threads a little. Then expand the nuts around the body of the threads.

You may also have some luck if you go to a hardware store and get some releasing/penetrating oil. Remember to tighten the nuts a bit before trying to loosen them. (this has got me out of a few fixes when I work on old engines ;)

8. Dr Who

Dr Who New Member

Is using an angle grinder on metal such a good idea in the loft area?? Call me over cautious but I wouldn't like to test my loft areas fire resistance with a shower of hot metal particles!

Dr Who

9. gabriel

gabriel New Member

A) Spray water around the area with a garden sprayer, put a large damp cotton sheet over the whole area and get on with it.......Also as long as you stick to cutting the BRASS valve you will get very little sparks. When you have finished spray area again..get it quite damp, without actual running water.

10. bilco

bilco New Member

The cheapest and possibly quickest way to remove nuts etc. is a hammer and sharp chissel...next, blow torch to free the threads....then, drill + hammer n chissel...If you must drill new hole, a hss cone cutter may be your best purchase

11. Sam

Sam Guest

Thankyou everyone for the responses.

I successfully removed the nuts with a hacksaw which I hadn't considered possible at first. However, with a lot of hard work it worked !

Thanks again for the responses.