Hollow Plasterboard (dot and dab)

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Cadishead67, Dec 21, 2021.

1. Cadishead67

Cadishead67 Member

I am doing the kitchen in a house that I have bought. The plasterboard (dot and dab) lined walls are in many places hollow but the plasterboard itself is in a decent enough state. I was thinking of drilling holes and pumping plasterboard adehesive into the area behind the plasterboard to rebond it to the wall in the places where it isn't.

Is this a good idea or should I bite the bullet and reboard it?

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Does it actually need it then? Is the board detaching from the wall?

3. Cadishead67

Cadishead67 Member

It's not detaching but it just sounds hollow.

4. It will do except for where the dabs of adhesive are

5. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Drill 10mm holes and blast foam if that's what you want to do but if it's stuck OK don't worry about it

6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

It's fine, unless it really bothers you squirt expanding foam through holes in the board then filler over.

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

You’ve kinda answered your own question here;

‘Dot and dab walls’

‘Sounds hollow’

That’s basically because it is hollow, apart from the dabs of adhesive betwix PB and wall

If it ain’t falling off the wall, can’t see what benefit you will achieve by pumping in more adhesive ?

Deleted member 246321 likes this.
  8. MRY

MRY Screwfix Select

I might be tempted, if it's a nuisance, to inject some sticky (low expanding) foam, like Everbuild Construkta Pro (Screwfix sell a "no nonsense" version, if price is an issue look to see what is available).

9. fizzy2

fizzy2 Guest

I was going to start a thread on a related item when I came across your thread. I'm not sure if I'm missing something. Isn't stuck solid parts & hollow parts (where it's not meant to be stuck) inherent with dot & dab?
    Good job that it's not screwed to battens / studding - you'd really have a problem!
    I'm not sure if your looking to fix something that's not considered a real issue...

Deleted member 246321 likes this.
  10. yebaws

yebaws New Member

could also create a lot of damp bridges if these are external walls...