Homeowner advice - is it safe to move the fuse board to a room that also holds water/gas/appliances?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by seekingadvice, Feb 3, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seekingadvice

seekingadvice New Member

Apologies if this is the incorrect forum. Hope you can forgive this naive question.

We're in the planning stages of a home renovation and looking to do a full house rewire. As part of this, we would like to move all services into one utility room. This includes fuse board + boiler + water tank + water mains + washing machine + dryer.

Is it safe to have the electrics in the same place as all the other services above?

2. ElecCEng

ElecCEng Screwfix Select

It is safe, provided the layout is suitable and the BS7671 separation distances met.

I would advise against too small a space and cramming everything in, you need room to route cables pipes etc. So make sure the utility is large enough.

Also consider that moving your service head and meter can only be done by the supplier and DNO, not an electrician, and there’s normally a charge for both. Otherwise the limit on distance between the meter and fuse board (consumer unit) is 3m unless you have a switch fuse and armoured cable installed.

3. kirkdx

kirkdx Active Member

I can't see any reason why not, so long as zones are considered if there is any running water. Our CU was moved to a room that has the water mains coming in and the washing machine and tumble dryer in it and all signed off and no further electricians have questioned it. Based on the services you've mentioned, any water leaks, etc would be considered an exceptional event. I don't think you can fit it in a bathroom, shower room, etc but not sure if that is actual regs or recommendation by most electricians

4. kirkdx

kirkdx Active Member

I thought the 3m limit was before you needed to apply additional protection to the tails, such as a fused isolator. If you're running it through the "fabric of the building" you would need RCD protection or earthed mechanical protection, however I can't imagine it's particularly simple to get a 25mm2 SWA cable through a wall, which I would assume you would need if you're using it off the back of a 100A fuse

5. Ind spark

Ind spark Screwfix Select

If it was 4m clipped direct would you use swa?

6. seekingadvice

seekingadvice New Member

Thank you all for the above advice. I do feel a little reassured now.

Can I ask further about this.

I believe our distance will be around 5m from meter to consumer unit.

Can the switch fuse be mounted next to the consumer unit? Or does it have to go next to the meter?

7. arrow

arrow Screwfix Select

Tails from meter to metal switch fuse, then swa to consumer unit.

8. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

There is no limit on meter tail length or any need to fit a switch fuse, it's a myth. If the length exceeds 3m it just needs to be done in accordance with 7671, ie SWA of a suitable CSA and Zs within the limits of the cut out fuse and an isolator at the start of the run.

9. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

There is no need to fit a switch fuse, it's a myth. If the length exceeds 3m it just needs to be done in accordance with 7671, ie SWA of a suitable CSA and Zs within the limits of the cut out fuse and an isolator at the start of the run.

10. Ind spark

Can you not use 4m meter tails?

11. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Now look what you've started, you woke it up :D

Sparkielev likes this.
  12. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

I often wonder what sort of level of tolerance is involved. Do you need a s/f if the meter tails are 3.01 m or not if they are 2.99m?

13. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Excuse me? I am not an "it" and I don't like being referred to as such. Please refrain.

14. Ind spark

Doubt it I've used well over 3m tails to feed 3 phase panel boards and the DNO have come out put the fuses in sealed it up happy as Larry.

15. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Fair enough.

16. Ind spark

I say well over probably 5m.
    I'm not installing 50m meter tails, honest:p

17. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

The place own now, there was a big hole in the top of the meter cabinet. I asked the DNO to come out a while back to help me change it for a new one. Long before they came out I got BG to fit an isolator in the meter cupboard and moved my cu from under the stairs to the kitchen, its about a 5 or 6 meter run in 16mm SWA. I was wondering if the DNO guys would kick off about it but they really were not interested in the slightest. In fact the only thing they were interested in was the tea and bikkies the Mrs gave them.

Ind spark likes this.
  18. WH55

WH55 Screwfix Select

The DNO guys genuinely wouldn’t care. As long as the cable head / cut out / main fuse is safe and in place correctly, they were happy. What happens after that is really a matter for the householder, unless it’s plainly and visibly unsafe.

19. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

I agree. Odd though the subject seems to bring out some quite "passionate" arguments about why you need a s/f.

20. kirkdx

kirkdx Active Member

I needed one because the spark wouldn’t sign off any work unless he fitted one :) Good enough reason for me

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.