Honeywell 3 way ch/hw valve not working?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by simonhershaw, Sep 23, 2018.

1. simonhershaw

simonhershaw New Member

Ok guys so i have a house were the ch works as expected but when i select the hw the heating comes on and no hw. Suspect broken 3 way valve but upon inspection the overide lever moves but does not activate anything? It just moves freely without turning the valve. Also i have noticed with the ch and hw turned off the motor inside the valve is really hot to touch, even when it hasnt been used for 12 hours.

So do i replace just the motor, the motor and switch or the entire thing?

Thanks in advance guys.

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Replace the whole thing .

3. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Obviously best to do as Terry suggests, but it's a lot more work especially if you are planning to do this yourself.

Are you DIYing this? Are you up to draining your system down to the valve's level? If so, replace the whole lot. Or if you are happy to pay someone else to do this.

However you can try unscrewing the motorhead (look up YouTube vids - it's easy) and checking the valve part below. Is it completely without leaks from around the spindle? Does it move smoothly with a satisfying low 'clink' at each end of travel? (Bear in mind the amount of actual movement is surprisingly small - 20o or so?

If the valve seems ok, then by all means - if it's easier for you - replace just the head and see what happens. Since you can pick up complete units for not much more than head alone, why not buy the lot and first try just the head - keep the body for later use if needed?

4. simonhershaw

simonhershaw New Member

If the whole thing needs replacing i will pay a heating engineer to do it. Going to take the motor off first as this is the part thats hot to touch when the ch or hw isnt turned on. The motors are only 20 quid were as the valve is 150 plus fitting.

5. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

And hint: when you replace the head, first check it has the same number and colours of wires, and then snip off the existing wires near the connecting block to leave a bit of the sleeved colour behind as a guide to each colour, and then replace them one at a time so's you don't mess up.

AFTER CUTTING THE POWER FULLY, AND DOUBLE-CHECKING...

Some folk even cut the existing cable half-way along, and then fit a second connecting block (inside a sealed case) there so they don't have to go near the main rat's nest of a wiring centre.

6. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Allsorts likes this.
  7. Dennisplamer

Dennisplamer New Member

I think replacing the whole unit would be the better options instead of going to repair each part.