Hot and cold supply to shower

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Adrian King-Cox, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Adrian King-Cox

Adrian King-Cox New Member

Hi,

We've just had our shower rebuilt as it was leaking like a sieve. I've just bought a replacement Thermostatic shower (Swirl Model 68169) for the old Mira 88 unit that was there, only to find out that the previous owner - a plumber, by the way, had plumbed the hot to the right and cold to the left. As the pipes have just been neatly buried behind board and nicely tiled over I've had to mount the damned thing upside down to get it to work.

The pipes feeding the cubicle are boxed-in, running above the skirting, feeding a bidet and a sink before the shower. And the pipes are laid touching each other. Is there any way that a skilled plumber could cut the pipes after they feed the sink and bidet (both hot on the left!) and "swap" them over. Failing that, is there such a thing as a thermostatic controller that can be "swapped". Or would a conventional controller work?

Thanks for your help!

Ades

2. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Grohe 1000 is the only bar shower that is reversible. A superb shower too, way better than the heap of scrap that is the Swirl

Your old Mira 88 would have had a reversible cartridge and so run happily either way round. Its not the previous plumber who is the numpty... ;)

Check the feeds before you buy next time - its very common to have them reversed. Swapping the pipes around will work and be cheaper than the Grohe.

3. petertheplumber

petertheplumber New Member

swopping pipes over sounds feasible but the bidet and sink would then be reversed wouldn't they.

4. hibeealex

hibeealex Member

He has suggested swapping after the bidet & sink so why would they be affected Peter?

5. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

A Grohe 1000 plus a reverse dcartridge will not leave much change from £300. Getting a plumber to swap the pipes as suggested will be less than £100.

Seemples! :)

6. petertheplumber

petertheplumber New Member

Thanks for mentioning it I missed that, reading in hurry I guess. lousy excuse but best I can do.:eek:

7. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

As a DIYer I would bite my lip and carefully remove the tiles etc. dig out the pipes and remake the connections properly.. A messy long job but it would be done properly.

"...a plumber, by the way, had plumbed the hot to the right and cold to the left..."

I rest my case for the DIYer!

diymostthings