"Hot" Box In Electricity Cupboard

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Carpozijr, Apr 15, 2004.

1. Carpozijr

Carpozijr New Member

Hi, hoping someone can help with my question, although apologies for the vagueness of this post:

In our electricity cupboard there is a small wall mounted box containing a silver metal plate and lots of wires going to and from it. The box is constantly very hot and looks to me as though it should be covered. It doesn't look unlike a light switch box but without the cover - although it definitely ISN'T this! The circuit box was replaced a few months ago and we can't remember if this box was there before this. The electrician explained the new circuit box to us but didn't mention this box.

My questions are - does anyone know what this box is?
    Should this box get very hot?
    Should this box be covered?

Many thanks in advance,

Pamela

2. plugwash

plugwash New Member

sounds very dodgy...

can you get a photo online so we can see it?

3. FWL_Engineer

FWL_Engineer New Member

I concur with Plug, that does not sound very safe at all, I cannot even begin to imagine what your talking about, the only things I can think of should not be hot at all.

As Plug suggested, can you post an image of the box in question?

4. Rabbit Rabbit

Rabbit Rabbit New Member

Sounds VERY dodgy, I would get a pro sparky in and quick mate. Reasons for heat - electric heater, a light bulb, err... UNDER RATED CABLES, urm.... LOOSE CONNECTIONS!!

RR

5. Fused

Fused New Member

You say there are lots of wires going into this box which has no cover. Without touching any of the wires/cables, what colours are these wires? Are they all bare metal or green/yellow? Are any of them black, or red?

About how many wires can you see?

Assuming you can see some screws/terminals (that are probably holding/securing the ends of wires), how many screws/terminals can you see and are they all in one straight line? Or are there several 'groups' of screw/terminals?

Are these wires all just single-looking wires or do they look flat and widish (usually grey or white) and then different coloured wires coming out of the ends?

Please only mention what you can see, do NOT touch or disturb any of these wires or fittings.

Is it possible this mystery item is something to do with your central heating, like a thermostat?

Or might it be your doorbell transformer (with some old and new wires still associated with it) and a broken or missing 'cover'?

You say small, approx what size is the box? Do not measure it (particularly not a steel tape measure), just give us an eye-judged size please.

6. bilco

bilco New Member

A bell transformer perhaps? very curious...Do you work for the government?

7. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

get some-one it to check, but possibly as bilco said - bell transformer? Or, i have seen old style tv amps of that description, cables come out from the sides in all directions if all the ways are used.

You are right to be worried, would get someone in.

If your sparks did the board and it is right next to it, i would have thought he would mention if it was dodgy - extra work for him if he had mentioned.

8. Carpozijr

Carpozijr New Member

Hi Guys, thanks for the responses. I'll take a photo this weekend and post it on Monday, however if I have any probs doing that, I'll post a full desc. with measurements/wire colours etc.

Thanks again for all your help,

Pamela

p.s. meantime I'll try to get the electrician back for a look!

9. Carpozijr

Carpozijr New Member

Hi guys, I'm afraid I haven't yet able to get a photo posted of this strange exhibit in my electric cupboard, but wanted to give you some more information.

The "lots of wires" I was referring to, is in fact a ribbon (all joined together) of small orange wires, as opposed to lots of different sized/colours of wires.

There is also a single white wire which runs from this box, and into the wall above, but to where, I have no idea.

I'm still working on getting the photo posted, but thought this info. might help.

Thanks again,

Pamela

10. this box is sounding more mysterious and dogie every time you post more information.

In my opinion i would get it checked by a pro as soon as possible

11. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

is it an old house? Some old houses used to have a heater element run around the damp course, starting from a transformer (your box).

12. Fused

Fused New Member

Could be a hard-wired alarm distribution box (or the remains of an intercom system) which should not be hot. So if it is part of a current functional alarm system there is a problem. If it an un-removed legacy then it is possible it was left with a (low volt) power feed connected and somewhere along the passage of time someone has shorted/loaded some of the remote/outgoing wires, like when some decorating has been done in another room, and resulted in something 'cooking' inside your mystery box.

Have you tried turning all your power off for a while an determining if it cools down . . . not too long a time, remember your freezer food!

Is there anything else introducing heat into that locality -- a hot pipe just below or behind?

Is there any manufacturer or supplier name visible around the box?

13. spud gun

spud gun New Member

The metal plate may be a heat sink for a power supply to a crude alarm system.

14. plugwash

plugwash New Member

one option for finding out what cuircuit it is supplied from

hook up a temporary cuircuit from a spare way in your cu (just run in a piece of 2.5mm t&e to a new 16A breaker and put a socket in a patress box on it) to supply your fridge and freezer

then turn off all cuircuits except the temporarry cuircuit and one other before going to work

each day leave a different cuircuit on until you find the one that makes it hot

15. Thevitalspark

Thevitalspark New Member

one option for finding out what cuircuit it is supplied from

Another option is to purchase a non-contact voltage tester ( about £10) and hold it close to the incoming cables. (keeping hands well clear of metal parts)

If mains voltage is present unit will light up, switch off each circuit mcb/ pull fuse until tester's light goes out.

Once you've found the circuit MCB/fuse, switch mcb/fuse on & off and check tester follows suit.

Suspect the white wire is the supply wire.

This will help you locate what circuit is supplying the unit, but won't help you much in correcting or identifying the problem unless you can afford to leave it switched off.

Suspect there is some sort of electronic gadgetry inside with Transformer to drop volts.

but only a guess,

call in an expendable spark!

g:)

16. Notan Xpert

Notan Xpert New Member

What was the answer to this? and where is the promised photo? I have been waiting ages to find out!

17. ennell

ennell Member

Come on Carpozijr, you've kept us in suspense for nearly a month now!

Have you discovered what the mystery box was?

e

18. Wooo, hope she didn't touch it!!

Btw, is there an LCD screen on it counting down?? In which case it would be a strange explosive device, perhaps hot due to nuclear decay. Id call the bomb squad asap :)