Hot Tub - Cabling Advice

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Parkini, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Parkini

Parkini New Member

Need some advice on size of armoured cabling to use for a hot tub.

The hot tub is an Exuma from Premier Hot tubs
    http://www.premierhottubsuk.co.uk/hot-tubs/exuma-luxury-hot-tub_1.aspx

The hot tub needs to be approx 10-12m from fuse box + 4m (14-16m total).

What thickness cable do I need? This will be layed underneath new garden paving before hot tub arrives.

The information from the website is below:
    "install on its own fused spur a 6mm - 16mm 3 core armoured SWA cable on a 32-40 amp supply wired through an R.C.D or circuit breaker and a waterproof rotary isolation switch fitted approx 2 meters away from hot tub (spa) please ensure that the cable tail end from isolator to hot tub site has an additional 4 meters for connection to the control box. (Most of our tubs are 32amps and 8-10KW total load an electrician will be able to work out what size cable you need from this information). - See more at: http://www.premierhottubsuk.co.uk/delivery-info.aspx#sthash.QtbJA42e.dpuf "

Thanks

2. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Hi. There is lots to think about for a hot tub installation, the size of the cable is just one of them.
    Its not a DIY job.

Parkini likes this.
  3. Parkini

Parkini New Member

Yeah, I've got an electrician coming in to install it...I just need to lay the cabling ready.

Thought I'd ask the question.

Cheers

4. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Unfortunately It's not as easy as that.
    The instructions you posted say this

Your electrician needs to do the design. It's not something you can do on an Internet forum. Sorry.

Parkini, sparky Si-Fi and seneca like this.
  5. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

8-10kw load!! hope there's some solar on the roof to put some back !

6. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Your Alleged sparks will calc the cable, no need to ask in here

7. Parkini

Parkini New Member

:) Just thought I'd ask :rolleyes:

Builders are starting Friday and they offered to lay the cable ready for the electrician. I'll tell them not to bother...the electrician can deal with it in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for repeating the previous comments

8. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

9. Parkini

Parkini New Member

Great!!! Thanks...I'll get them to do this...easiest all round...no rush for the electrician to tell me whats need for Friday. Cheers

10. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Put in a length of string through the duct. Makes it easier to pull the cable through later.

11. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Your hot tub is clearly outside the zone protected by the equipotential bonding, it will also fall into part 'P' regulations. In addition, when the supply is installed I recommend that your electrician runs the cable to an enclosure that incorporates a 30mA rcd and an earth rod should be fitted. Do not connect your tub earth to the house earth, that is do not use the swa or a core of the cable as a CPC as you may be introducing a CPC that is connected to circuits with a 5 second disconnection time. Connect the SWA to CPC at the supply end bt ruminate it into a grip gland, do not allow the SWA to be exposed to touch. See 'mixed disconnection times' and Agricultural, horticultural and equine installations.

12. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Surely his registered electrician will know about all that? If it is indeed relevant.

13. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Bazza, I am retired now and during my working life I have found some electricians who do not realize the full implications of installations outdoors, clearly you do and you appreciate the hazards. Good man.

14. Parkini

Parkini New Member

Really appreciate your feedback, I'm hoping the electrician knows all of this (as I can only change a light bulb :)) ...will show him these comments though.

Bazza...bought the ducting you suggested ready for builders Friday.

Thanks again