Hot tub on a patio; should I lay part of the patio underneath the tub flat or sloped?

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Bournemouth_Craig, May 19, 2021.

1. Bournemouth_Craig

Bournemouth_Craig New Member

I'm in the process of laying a new patio (10m x 6m), I have a hot tub that will be installed in 1 corner but wanted to understand what to do about sloping vs flat with the paving that will sit under the tub.

The patio is being laid on a 1:80 slope, but I am told the hot tub should sit completely flat and even a 1 inch difference can be a problem. I'm not sure whether to a) continue the gradient of the patio all the way across and then just shim or build a tiny frame underneath the tub to level out the 2.5cm height difference there will be b) keep the area under the tub flat meaning the rest of the patio slopes but then the area in the corner is flat instead [would obviously look weird if I ever remove the tub] and im concerned about water just sitting there and pooling underneath the tub or c) something different?

Can anybody help advise please? Spent ages trying to find an answer to how people usually handle this but can't find anything.

Thank you

2. Dan Greenslade

Dan Greenslade Active Member

Just an idea, could slope the patio then build a small level decking on top for the hot tub to sit on?

3. Bournemouth_Craig

Bournemouth_Craig New Member

Thanks Dan, always an option, i'm mainly curious how people approach this as it must be really common to site your hot tub on the patio but they have completely different requirements of flat vs sloped and i've found it really difficult to find a 'standard' solution to this. I thought there would be some sort of pre-designed heavy duty plastic shim or something you could buy to just slot underneath but it seems the main suggestions are building a tiny framework underneath filled with pea shingle or sand to provide a flat base on top of the sloped patio.