Hot water Air lock after fitting shower pump??

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Kristian Bainbridge, Sep 18, 2022.

1. Kristian Bainbridge

Kristian Bainbridge New Member

Hi, I've just fitted a stuart turner monsoon shower pump to replace an old one basically like for like just a newer model. At the start the cold water wasn't coming through the shower head so had a quick look on Internet and turned pump off ran cold through for 5 min then same with hot. Turned pump back on and seems to have fixed the cold water issue. Now the hot water is only coming out 50% pressure to cold. The pipe work comes direct from tanks so basically it's own system. Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Need to know layout of pipe runs and possibly pics of what you have in the airing cupboard assuming pumps in there

3. Kristian Bainbridge

Hopefully that's clear enough

Attached Files:

4. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Is that bottom isolating valve fully open

5. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

To me, and correct me if wrong, the hot leaves the top of teh cylinder and goes 300mm to teh right where it T's up and down. The down leg goes 200mm to another T which leads to the Red handled gate valve, and from there feeds the pump.

Is that correct?

If so, there is a good chance you are pulling air in on te hot side from the vent/overflow pipe.

BiancoTheGiraffe likes this.
  6. Kristian Bainbridge

Hi, thanks for replys, I didn't tell the full story on original post. The pump I bought was second hand didn't fancy spend £550 on a new pump. Once the pump was all fitted it was seized up the impellers wasn't moving. I took case off each side to remove impellers and freed the motor shaft and oiled over night which did the trick. When I put the impellers back on the key slot pin slipped off so was freely spinning instead of forcing water through! Put the impeller back on properly and working fine now.

7. vrDrew63

vrDrew63 Active Member

Let me guess... You've got a cold water tank up in your loft?

Your water company probably provides service at the main with 1-2 bar of pressure. More than enough to get it to the top of a 2 storey house, with enough left over for a very pleasant, powerful and invigorating shower. Except...... the cold water tank throws away all that pressure. Leaving you with a tank about with about 90 cm of head above your top floor bathroom shower head. Meaning you end up spending hundreds of pounds on an electric pump, and convoluted plumbing and switches and valves, all in order to re-create the pressure your cold water loft tank has just thrown away.

8. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

It may well be invigorating but I guess he would like some hot water mixed with it so he still needs a pump or some expensive pressurised hot water cylinder