Hot Water Problem - Help Needed

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Neopagan, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Neopagan

Neopagan New Member

I have just returned from abroad (I was away for over a month)- while I was away I switched off the hot water. On my return I switched it back on and no longer have hot water. I am on electricity here no gas as its rather isolated.

[1] I think I have an Immersion heater, the tank is in the airing cupboard and has just a mains switch labelled 'Hot Water' and one dial that has a 24 hour clock on it. The dial has a small switch on its side for Timed or Instant. There is only one dial so I cannot have two periods of heating.

[2] When I switch it to Instant I get hot water within the hour, whilst on Timed I do not seem to get any hot water at all. The dial is usually set 5am and of course it ticks by as the day progresses. I experimented and put the Instant on for about 4 hours before I went to bed (expensive but I had to try something) and the following morning had hot water for an hour or so.

[3] I have night storage heaters (I think they are Economy 7) and these work fine during the morning when I get up and remain pretty hot till late afternoon. I can boost these if required.

I was hoping that someone could advise on the Timed setting not working any ideas?

2. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Pagans!

PAH!

Just wave a bit of mistletoe at it or sacrifice a sheep....

3. G Brown

G Brown New Member

The Economy 7 part of the timer only works at night time. It will not come on during the day.

If it's not working at night either then get an electrician round, the timer switch may have died.

4. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Dance around naked and get some goats heads, that should do the trick :)

5. rome60

rome60 New Member

Lower immersion in cylinder needs replacing,get a sparky to check for continuity on immersion coil.

6. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Er yes romeo! that is the most likely problem!

7. screwfox

screwfox New Member

as above.

You will most likely have 2 immersion heaters in your hot water cylinder, 1 for overnight cheap rate (the lower one) and one for instant heat on normal rate, the top one. Sounds like the top one is ok, but the lower one needs checking out. Get a sparky in.

8. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Get a sparky in.... preferably a pagan one ;)