Hot Water System - Pressure Release Device?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Big G, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Big G

Big G Member

I live in a new house (2002 build) and have recently noticed an occasional weep from the top of a pipe in the hot press. The hot press is located upstairs. The hot water cylinder (like the type offered in the Screwfix catalogue on Pg. 214) has a 15mm pipe coming horizontally out of it approximately half way up. This then enters a 15mm equal T-joint which has a pipe running vertically. The bottom end of the pipe goes down through the floorboards, the top pipe runs straight up and terminates near the top of the hot press cupboard. At the end of this top pipe, there is a small cylindrical brass device, approximately 2 inches in length, with what looks like a car tyre valve black cap on top of it and the words 110oC. I assume that this is some form of pressure release device? Basically what is happening is that water sometimes weeps from this device and I assume therefore it must be faulty or what could be causing this? Is the cap supposed to be screwed down tight or left slightly loose? Is there suppose to be water in the pipe right up to this device or is it an expansion pipe? Any help would be gratefully received.

2. handson

handson New Member

sounds like it could be a auto bleed device
    there should be water there if it a pressure system in simple terms the device act like a old fashened auto bleed ie a piece of cork would dry out if exposed to air in so doing the air would seep past, and eventually water would come into contact and reseal the system cos cork expands when wet this is a moden version and it shoud only weep when its venting.ther may a other reason for air in the system ,radiator removal for example.

3. You could always dismantle the device - it should have a float inside - and clean it all up. It shouldnt leak, but the valve may be sticking if theres some muck in there