Hotpoint Combination 8553 Fridge Freezer not switching off.

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by goodtyneguy, Jul 7, 2007.

1. goodtyneguy

goodtyneguy Member

That's it folks,stays on all the time, got the leccy bill to prove it :(

Using common sense rather than any technical ability on my part says "thermostat problem".

I think it has a thermostats for both the freezer and the fridge i.e. there is a piece of thick wire in each compartment, the one in the freezer in a snake like position on the shelves.

Advice please.

Thanks

2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Try defrosting it. Sometimes a partial defrost can help.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

3. goodtyneguy

goodtyneguy Member

Handyandy to the rescue again, man your just like my fridge....COOL.

Off to pull the plug out;-)

4. goodtyneguy

goodtyneguy Member

Back to the drawing board I'm afraid, the defrosting solution did n't work :(

Where to next please...?

5. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

what are the internal temps like?

6. goodtyneguy

goodtyneguy Member

Hi jimbo, the fridge is set between numbers 5 & 6 (there's no settings for the freezer), it's maintaining the temperature you'd expext fot this setting. The freezer is'nt iceing up or to warm either. Just normal I'd say?

Cheers.

7. ..if it isn't overfreezing then it's not supposed to be switching off..either turn the stat down or leave it be

8. Mr. Handyandy

Yes, it is supposed to switch off.

Should have said when switching back on after defrosting, turn to lower setting to check it switches off there.
    For reference, we keep ours set at 3, on a 1-5 dial(and sometimes even then it freezes the back of the fridge if the fridge area has too much food stacked in it).

I guess the logical step is to turn it down real low and see if it switches off there, then up it to a decent setting.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

9. nigel

nigel Guest

New stat, the combined ones a sometimes tricky to replace.

10. goodtyneguy

goodtyneguy Member

There are two separate thermostats, the freezer one is factory set and none adjustable. The fridge compartment has a dial from 0 to 9.

There are three lights, amber, green and red on the front of the freezer door. The are indicators of:- fast freeze, general power supply and freezer below the required temperature respectively.

This morning I looked inside the freezer compartment to find the the fast freeze switch was in the "on" position despite the amber light not being illuminated. I've now turned it of, this may be the issue.

11. goodtyneguy

goodtyneguy Member

"I guess the logical step is to turn it down real low and see if it switches off there, then up it to a decent setting.

Mr. HandyAndy - really"

Since switching the fast freeze off the problem of the motor runnung constantly has n't gone away. I tried your suggestion but first of all I measured the temperature of the fridge compartment. I placed a thermometer on the middle shelf for my experiments, it read 38f (3C) for what we considered our normal setting i.e between 5 and 6 (0-9). I then progressively set the dial to 4,1, and 0, the temperature increased incrementaly also but the motor never once cut out over a long period of time. When set at 0 which effectively means it's turned off it still ran constantly maintaining the temperature at about 52f (11C). At this point I turned off the power supply and then on again, the motor did n't start to run but instead I got a quiet humming niose. When I turned the setting back up the motor started up again.

Fridge thermostat?

12. Mr. Handyandy

The fact that the temperature changes in the fridge with the dial means that works ok.

And maybe the motor is still running to run the freezer.

Maybe the freezer boost light(not working) could be an indication that the freezer is still 'boost freezing'.

Lots of maybe's, and don't know how much more one can do from here.

If the fridge cools down again(as per normal) that's safe.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

13. goodtyneguy

goodtyneguy Member

Yes I think you're right Handyandy, the freezer is keeping the motor running and yes perhaps the fast freeze is staying on. I'm off to have a bit of play around with the switch etc.

At the moment I've got the fridge turned up to full (10) and it's plugged into a timer. It's set to switch on and off for alternating 20 minute periods during the day and on for 20 mins every hour over night when the doors are unlikely to be opened. This is keeping the fridge compartment around the recommended 5C The freezer red light is coming on more often but I doubt whether it will have a detrimental affect on the food in the there, keeping an eye on it anyway. I intend to move house in the near future so will be holding out until then.

Thanks again for the help Handy.

14. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

If your temps are normal - +5*C and -18*C, then the system is not working efficiently either because of leakage - dodge seals, will show up as massive frosting if not a frost-free, or low refrigerant charge.

It doubt it would be worth re-gassing the appliance as, if it is low, the leak would need to be traced and fixed 1st, it will cost more than it is worth.

15. ponty01.

ponty01. New Member

Time for a new one matey, your wasting more time than it's worth.

16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Agree with stupid on this one, new one needed also potential fire hazard. Cheaper to replace all things considered.

17. goodtyneguy

goodtyneguy Member

Jimbo, I checked the seals and there's no obvious misalignments or breaks and no excessive freezing up in the freezer. (Not frost free) Obviously can't comment on the gas situation.

Astramax and I'm with stupid, you're having a laugh!

The unit's only fifteen years old!

18. ponty01.

ponty01. New Member

I will let my newly found mucker Astramax reply to you on that one - you deserve all that's coming, and I totally agree with him.

19. Mr. Handyandy

Jimbo, what does this mean ?

"If your temps are normal.......then the system isn't working efficiently.."

Mr. HandyAndy - really

20. goodtyneguy

goodtyneguy Member

"I will let my newly found mucker Astramax reply to you on that one - you deserve all that's coming, and I totally agree with him"

LOL, yeah, my last post was said jokingly but of course on the internet you can't see expressions. I do agree witn you both and thank you for your contributions.

Just off to check the temperature :)