Hourly rate

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by TallPaul, Jan 30, 2004.

  1. TallPaul

    TallPaul New Member

    I'm considering setting myself up as a one man band sparky. Been working in boring IT for the past 9 years. Anyone got any ideas on hourly rates etc in the Leeds area? Also any other (useful) help would be appreciated.
  2. andyboy

    andyboy New Member

    £25 notes an hour plus call outs at £40.
  3. three phase

    three phase New Member

    at least £10 an hour.depends how much experience you got
  4. The Trician

    The Trician New Member

    Don't know about Leeds but around here (DERBY) it's £15 for domestic and £18 for Industrial. Depends on the nature of the work and if you are working in the city or the outer areas.
  5. The Trician

    The Trician New Member

    Check out what you need by the way of qualifications too. C&G 2381, C&G 2391. Plus the C&G beginners - 2360?. Ask at your local college for more info on courses etc.
  6. ban-all-sheds

    ban-all-sheds New Member

    TallPaul - do a search here and at diynot.com for terms such as Part P, regulations, qualifications, regs, competent, etc etc.

    You may want to reconsider your career change.
  7. Gotcher

    Gotcher New Member

    You may want to reconsider your career change

    I would agree with that. Pretty soon when Part P hits the streets it will become next to unlikely that non-qualified sparkies can legally operate.

    I read a statistic someplace that only about 20% of qualified and time-served sparkies will be able to write certificates for the jobs they do. I don't know if that's an accurate statistic though.

  8. TallPaul

    TallPaul New Member

    Hi and thanks for all this info.
    I used to work in the electrical industry about 14 years ago so I'm a bit out of touch with all this Part P stuff.

    Currently I'm getting myself up to speed with the 16 ed of the regs (BS 7671) and have a C & G 2381 exam booked.

    When does Part P come into force? And will all sole traders have to be NIC registered? If this is the case how will new electrical companies get started? You need 2 years in the business before you can get NIC.
  9. fusefinder

    fusefinder New Member

    I'm in a similar situation. Best keep the hourly rates for fault finding, most people prefer a fixed quote if the work is quantifiable. After all, who wants to hand over an open cheque book these days.

    Would advise getting public liability insurance too, anywhere between 65 to 100 pounds for 2 million pounds cover.
  10. fusefinder

    fusefinder New Member

    ... oh and don't be put off by the part P "arm-chair sparkies" doom merchants telling you to re-consider ;)
  11. TallPaul

    TallPaul New Member

    ... oh and don't be put off by the part P "arm-chair
    sparkies" doom merchants telling you to re-consider
    Thanks very much mate. I owe you a pint, if I see you that is......

Share This Page