House alarm recommendations

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by enc, Jun 23, 2018.

1. enc

enc Active Member

Can anybody recommend a home alarm... preferably, wireless but with a wired mains external siren ?

I hear Visonic powermax are supposed to be good for the money but they dont appear to be enabled for a wired external siren !?

thanks in advance.

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I fitted a Texecom one to my house about 3 years ago, all working ok but I have used my original bell as I still had the wiring there from my previous system. (there is a suitable supply available whithin the Texecom system.)

enc likes this.
  3. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Definitely TEXECOM

Go for an Elite 64-W which can be with a keypad on the panel or remote or both, and Odyssey sounder then up to 76 devices in a combination of wired and wireless (max 64). Add a Connect interface and it then provides updates to your Android or iOS device.

If you want any more detial send me a message (through conversation).

enc likes this.
  4. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Hi Pollowick, I know you like Texecom and I think it was you that recommended it to me some time ago. Just as a matter of interest after mine had been up and running for about 8 months or so it started telling me there was a battery fault in the bell box. I checked them and found they were ok so I spoke to their tech line and the chap said they would replace the sounder as it must be faulty in some way. I then asked whether my old mechanical bell would work ok with their system (as I still had the wiring in place) and he said yes it will, in fact that's a good idea in that it means you won't have to go climbing up there to replace the batteries when they fail! It's been fine ever since.

enc likes this.
  5. Pollowick

I'm not a fan of having hard to reach devices running on battery and that includes sounders. I would always suggests a wired sounder if at all possible - and maybe two, one to the front and one to the rear using SAB and SCB modes to manage power.

enc and seneca like this.
  6. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I just used the 12v supply in the box, it works fine.

7. enc

enc Active Member

exactly why i wanted a hard wired bell box.

8. enc

enc Active Member

9. Pollowick

It is fine, but there are other places to buy from too. But first think about exactly what you need - how many PIRs, contacts, keypads and will the panel be accessible or tucked away then look at what options there are. There are quite a few Texecom kits worth looking at ... and I can let you have details although I will not post them and no, I don't have any link to suppliers apart from buying , so it will be just a recommendation on price/experience &c.

Also, why a mains powered siren? Are you thinking about a "master Blaster"/Klaxon or similar? The standard Texecom sounders work direct from the panel and are effectively mains powered with full battery back up.

In most cases you can only have one running in SAB mode or you overload the supply fuse - hence SCB for the second.

10. enc

enc Active Member

cctv central are about 5 miles from my place so convenient to deal with i guess. have you dealt with them before or had issue with them or something? apart from an additional door contact sensor, the kit i linked to ( an Elite 64-W) has pretty much all i require. reason i want mains powered sounder is my last alarm had battery powered sounder and was very difficult to access to replace batteries... major hassle

11. Pollowick

Have not dealt with them before and as CCTVcentral they do not appear on the Texecom distributor list, however ADK Security of the same address do, so I would assume they are the same company. NO issues with that.

You DO NOT need a mains powered sounder. The PE64-W is mains powered and should have a 7AH battery fitted too (which you will need). That battery keeps it going for 12+ hours in case of mains failure. The sounder has a battery back-up too - in case the cable is cut. From the panel, you wire +12v, 0v, bell, strobe and tamper so the sounder is powered from the panel with NO batteries to replace.

Just select a style/shape and colour of an Odyssey sounder - just do not select a -W as they are wireless,
    https://www.texe.com/uk/products/series/external-sounders/premier-elite-series/ the older Premier Elite Series
    https://www.texe.com/uk/products/series/external-sounders/odyssey-x-series/ the Odyssey X series which has the X as standard and XB with a backlight.
    Then chose an X1 or X3 cover

Also worth adding a SmartCom interface - http://www.cctvcentral.co.uk/texecom-connect-smartcom---wifi--ethernet-cel-0001-2588-p.asp it will allow you to programme from your PC and then send alarm signalling to your 'phone.

enc likes this.
  12. enc

enc Active Member

Ahh nice one Mr. pollowick ...
    so , basically i require

1 x
    http://www.cctvcentral.co.uk/texeco...MIvLSOovbq2wIVCrDtCh2_IgDbEAQYASABEgIk0vD_BwE
    (ive emailed CCtv to inquire if a 7H back up battery is included a review on youtube would suggest not)

1 x
    http://www.cctvcentral.co.uk/texeco...e-micro-contact-w---white-gha-0001-2395-p.asp

1 x
    http://www.cctvcentral.co.uk/texecom-odyssey-x3---cover-whiteblue-wdb-0001-2064-p.asp

im undecided on whether to install myself... apparently, set up can be a ball ache !?

what would be a typical cost for installation ?

EDIT,
    OH *** !! THE LINK ABOVE HAS THE WIRELESS SOUNDER :mad:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  13. enc

enc Active Member

14. Pollowick

The first link in your first post, as you say, has a wireless sounder so NO.

The one in your second has a wireless keypad. I prefer to have at least one wired keypad so go back to the original Kit-86 http://www.cctvcentral.co.uk/texecom-ricochet-premier-elite-64-w-kit-86-kit-0086-2582-p.asp?

Then add the sounder - you have specified the X-BE which is backlit and "Economy" so lower power, there is also an X-B http://www.cctvcentral.co.uk/texeco...led-integral-backlight-g3-wdc-0002-2372-p.asp which is 6dB louder.

You will also need a reel of 8 way alarm cable to wire to the sounder and key pad.

enc likes this.
  15. Pollowick

You could get someone in to install - probably around 1 day. However, you could do most of it yourself, running the cables, fixing panel sounder and keypad and if not confident, pay for an installers time to programme it all for you. That is where his expertise counts and would be two or three hours plus some time for testing.

Ring round local installers or ask at CCTV and see if you can find one.

enc likes this.
  16. enc

enc Active Member

Thanks very much for your help fella. much appreciated:cool:

17. facilities

facilities Guest

9696039E-82F3-418E-B44F-FA3400D636FE.jpeg I use one of these :)

seneca and Bazza like this.
  18. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

facilities likes this.
  19. enc

enc Active Member

Check your inbox.

20. enc

enc Active Member

Just updating this thread as a heads up fir anybody doing a search. the system is finally working after much head scratching and help from Texecom (fantastic helpline)

Had issues with the wireless key pad “loosing contact” with the control panel. At first suspected solar panels on roof were interfering with wireless !?? anyway, turns out the wireless keypad was faulty ! replaced it and all seems fine.
    Wireless takes a lot of setting up. Not sure ide have a wireless system again.

Pollowick and blarblarblarblar like this.