House built in 1980… would lights be earthed ?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Emma79, Nov 22, 2021.

1. Emma79

Emma79 New Member

Hi I am In the process of selling my house and the buyer has had an electrical survey carried out and the electrician has stated that neither the lights or plugs are earthed. I have checked 3 plug sockets and although are unsheathed there is an earth wire… but I not sure about the lights… he also says it is unsafe as the house is only on one circuit (very small 2 bed semi detached) and it needs a rewire at the cost of £4,000! The purchaser has now asked me to reduce the agreed price based on this… can anyone help confirm if this is right ???

Attached Files:

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

It's impossible to tell what your electrical installations condition is without being on site ,and seeing one picture of a pendant fitting that does not even show the wiring clearly ,is no use at all.
    Your prospective buyer has asked for a reduction in price ,you can accept or refuse . It's entirerly up to you.

3. Emma79

Emma79 New Member

I think my issue is I don’t believe that his report of correct as he is stating plugs are not earthed but they are, and I have read that houses built after 1966 needed to be earthed… if that is the case then a house built in 1980 should surely be earthed else it would not have passed building regs

4. Cloudsnapper

Cloudsnapper New Member

why not get your own sparky in to do a report? the wiring either needs sorting or someone is trying to stitch you up.

5. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

There may well be earth conductors present at each socket ,but they are not fully connected to earth. Likewise with lighting circuit earth's. The age of the property is such that the lighting circuit ORIGINALLY , would have had earthing as a regulatory requirement, likewise with power circuits.
    Do you have a copy of the electrical report ?

6. Emma79

Emma79 New Member

I have attached the report… there is an issue with the panel not tripping so I do know that is correct but not sure about the rest, knowing that he hasn’t actually checked the plug sockets.

Edit …. Removed report whilst I remove personal details

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
  7. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

You may want to protect both you and the contractor by covering personal details.

8. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

What test did this sparkie do ? How long did it take him ? I would be surprised a house built in 1980 wasn't earthed, get your own sparkie in to a EICR

9. Sparkielev

You should delete this and repost it covering all personal details

10. Bazza-spark

From what I can see on your test sheet the Zs rezults are fine, but you appear to have faulty RCD's although he hasn't logged any trip times.

11. Bazza-spark

I don't see anything that requires a rewire based on that sheet, remedial work yes, and pretty soon as your RCD's don't appear to be performing properly.

I would suggest you get your own spark to check this.

Emma79 likes this.
  12. Emma79

Emma79 New Member

Thanks Bazza, yes there is a problem with the RCD …. When I press the one ‘yellow button’ it trips, but when I press the other yellow button it does not trip. I’m ok that that bit is ture

13. Sparkielev

As Bazza said earthing looks fine, for both RCDs to be faulty is rare,I'd get your own spark in, it doesn't look to bad to honest, hard to judge what he means by C1 on accessories, are they broken with conductors exposed

14. Emma79

Emma79 New Member

Thanks Sparkielev… there are nothing is broken or exposed… all plugs, switches and light fittings are in perfect condition.

15. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

Houses (except for new ones, which come with faults!!) are full of gremlins from their past - buyers are free to have surveys done so as they can decide whether or not to buy and plan their works, but never, never alter the price that has been agreed, simple as that.

Ring your estate agent in the morning and instruct them to re-list the house for sale, if your buyer wants the house they will move like lighting to save the deal, if not move on.

I've dont this twice, and it worked both times.

As the other guys say, there is nothing to indicate a re-wire being needed, and if they want to do that, its up to them and at their expense.

Be strong, hold out!!

longboat, jonathanc and Sparkielev like this.
  16. Sparkielev

Can you repost certificate without the personal details, how long did he take to do test ?

17. jonathanc

jonathanc Screwfix Select

Change of tack. What’s the position with the buyers? Are they desperate to buy? Are you desperate to sell? How far are they in with conveyancing costs? If you have the upper hand tell them to proceed with their offer or walk away

18. Tony Goddard

I had a buyer once, who attempted to get a reduction due to some known and declared structural issues with an outbuilding - he brought it up after his survey. My response was that I didn't want to sell him something he wasn't happy with, so would rather sell to another buyer who was, by the end of the day he was back on message!!

Sparkielev likes this.
  19. Tony Goddard

Always pay the little extra for the no completion no fee policy at the solicitors, it caps your costs at £300 if the deal doesn't go through!

20. Bazza-spark

@Emma79 call me suspicious, but I do suspect he is using this to get £4k off te price for possibly £200 worth of work.