House Service Fuse

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Abe, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Abe

Abe New Member

Mine gave up the ghost yesterday - no fuss, no explosions or smoke and fire - just died while drawing no more than 15 amps in total.

Mind you it was probably a couple of decades old and it did get a nasty little jolt earlier in the day when the starter on one of the fluorescent lights in the garage blew up. The accompanying short tripped out the RCD and the 6A B-type MCB, so I think the fault current must have been well over 30A to have tripped the MCB in the time it would have taken the RCD to respond. The service fuse is only 60A for my supply.

Has anyone else had any experience of service fuses going in similar circumstances, with a delayed action? How well do these things age?

2. The Trician

The Trician New Member

Can't say I've experienced the service fuse dying. On the other hand, I quite expected my 100A one to go when I had a persistant fault on my ring main (finally traced when a mound of damp plaster popped off the wall behind a picture frame, whose bracket had been nailed through both T+E legs to a skt beneath)It was a slow-blow scenario which took about 15-20minutes to trip the 32Amcb after each time I reset it.
    Fuses do get 'tired' though. Warming up, cooling down etc during years of normal service eventually take their toll on the fuse element.
    I think the service fuses are BS88 ones, so there'll be a time/current chart in the regs book which will show you how long and at what fault current the things'll blow at.

3. PTE440

PTE440 New Member

I have often wondered about mine i have 3 phase at my business 125a per phase main fuse. With the amount of Air Con units we have, i'm sure they will blow at some point. Some of the units take 90A a phase to start !

4. jomed

jomed New Member

I have often wondered about mine i have 3 phase at my
    business 125a per phase main fuse. With the amount of
    Air Con units we have, i'm sure they will blow at
    some point. Some of the units take 90A a phase to
    start !

Hope the load is balanced across the phases. Do the lights flicker when the units start?

5. Milton Bradley

Milton Bradley New Member

Still struggling on a 60A mains fuse?

Better go and ask the Electricity Company to upgrade your mains service cable and fuse, to 100amps, the present day standard - they may even do it free of charge.....

6. PTE440

PTE440 New Member

Yeah, they are all 3phase units, and yes, the lights do flicker when they start!

Our elect bill went from £3k a year to around £7k with the extra demand!

7. Abe

Abe New Member

Still struggling on a 60A mains fuse?

I wouldn't say I was struggling exactly. I don't have any high current demands in my house - no electric shower or cooker.

Better go and ask the Electricity Company to upgrade
    your mains service cable and fuse, to 100amps, the
    present day standard - they may even do it free of
    charge.....

If it means digging up the entire length of my concrete drive, which I suspect it would, then I think I'll pass.