How accurate do you expect a mitre saw to be?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by ChippyMinton100, Aug 29, 2020.

1. ChippyMinton100

ChippyMinton100 New Member

After reading lots of good reviews about the Erbauer mitre saws I decided to get one as I don’t have budget for one of the brands.

I’ve done a few test cuts and adjusted it as much as I can, but a don’t get an accurate cut. Given the number of reviews saying accuracy is good I wonder what’s a reasonable level of accuracy ? The best I can get is about 1mm out in 200mm. I don’t think that’s very good.

what do you think? How accurate would you expect a mitre saw to be or how accurate is yours?

Thank you

2. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

I think that the accuracy of a mitre saw and how important it is, is really down to the type of use it's likely to get. In my case, 1mm out in a 200mm slide cut would be completely useless. Mine does a slide cut of over 300mm and unless it was 100% accurate i would consider it unacceptable.
    However, in a DIY situation that amount of inaccuracy may well be acceptable.

3. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

That's about 0.286° out of square.
    I wouldn't be happy with that either and the only thing to do is keep adjusting the fence until it's within a higher tolerance.
    Yep, it's a PITA, but even cheap saws can be fettled with to gain much greater accuracy than what is given out of the box.
    I haven't checked my saw for a while so don't know what the 'trueness' is as it appears to work as expected for now.

4. ChippyMinton100

Many thanks kitfit1 and longboat. I’ve adjusted as much as I can without actually modifying any of the parts. I think this one’s going back.

thanks for your help

masterdiy likes this.
  5. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Chippy, Which model did you get?

6. SoManyUserNames

SoManyUserNames Active Member

Each and every saw will be different, I have 3 chop saws same make and model, each one has its own characteristics, 1mm in play across a 200mm wide cut could be adjusted simply by how you hold the saw handle and the pressure that is applied during the cut, most saws and I haven't found one yet that doesn't, will have play in the head bearings/mount, I will keep slight pressure on the handle towards the angle I am cutting, if this is incorrect by allpying a bit more pressure in the same direction or in the opposite direction if required.
    It normally takes me about 4 hours of cutting once the angles are zeroed to get the feel for that particular machine.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  7. ChippyMinton100

Masterdiy it’s the emis305s

8. ChippyMinton100

Thanks so many usernames that’s very useful