How do I change a bath/shower diverter valve?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Juliep, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Juliep

Juliep New Member

image.jpeg Hi all,
    My bath/shower diverter 'knob' has become so tight I can no longer pull it up to use the shower.
    I've tried descaling it with vinegar with no luck so I think it needs replacing.
    However I'm stuck as how to replace it. Is it an easy job? I really can't afford to replace the taps if it will be easy replace the valve.
    Do I need to remove the taps though to remove the valve?
    Thanks, I'd appreciate any suggestions.

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

When you say you’ve descaled the divertor, is this with it in situ in the tap ?

If so, always better to remove from tap body, check for wear, fully descale, lubricate with plumbers grease and then reassemble

Easy job if your not sure, please explain how you’ve descaled so far

3. Juliep

Juliep New Member

Thanks. I've only descaled insitu as I'm not sure how to remove it, hence the query.

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

Ok, easy job

Make sure taps are fully turned off

Use a tight fitting spanner or adjustable spanner on the flats of the chrome collar and unscrew anti clockwise - usually done up tight and not removed since manufacture so may need to give the spanner a tap to get things moving

Good idea to wrap kitchen roll or thin cloth around collar to avoid scratching the chrome, not too thick as need a well fitting spanner on those flats

Divertor assembly will unscrew and pull up and out

Can then fully descale and check for wear. Once cleaned up, dry and then apply plumbers grease to moving parts (or Vaseline)not gallons, just a smear

Reassemble and then hopefully things will be smoother

Guessing you do have the knob for the spindle ?

Difficult to descale in situ but easy to remove and service

Please report back with results :)

5. Juliep

Juliep New Member

Oh fantastic! Thanks so much.
    I'll try it in the morning and will report back.
    ....and yes, I do have the top of the knob!

6. Juliep

Juliep New Member

Ok, here is my update at last!

I undid the chrome collar as you advised, it was quite easy to do and i removed the diverter.
    I soaked it in vinegar and cleaned it off. Two of the o rings had totally perished so I replaced them, wiped a little Vaseline on it and reassembled everything. It now works a treat!

Thank you so much for your help DIYDave Problem solved!