How do I connect conduit??

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Dd_1991, Jun 3, 2021.

1. Dd_1991

Dd_1991 New Member

I need to run wiring for cctv from one corner of my house to the other and was thinking conduit would be the tidiest way of doing it.
    How do I join 2 lengths of pvc conduit together?
    Is it male and female connectors I need, connection boxes or is there a simple sleeve to join them?

Many thanks in advance!

2. Ind spark

Ind spark Screwfix Select

Coupler or through box.

Through/angle/tee boxes make it easier to draw the cables in.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
  3. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Couplers or joint boxes depends on how you need to run it

4. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

5. Dd_1991

Dd_1991 New Member

I tried couplers... They're exactly the same size as the conduit. How am I meant to insert the conduit?

6. Ind spark

Ind spark Screwfix Select

Not sure what you had but couplers are slightly bigger than the conduit.

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Are you mixing between brands of conduit and accessories ?

Like with solvent weld pipe and fittings, common sizes are 32/40mm but the outside diameter can vary between brands

8. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

Rigid pvc electrical conduit is mostly 20mm OD & 25mm OD made in black or white (there is red too for fire, but it's rare to find), there are larger sizes too, but the 20 & 25 are the most common. The coupler for 20mm has an inside diameter to fit over the tube. There are various makes, MK Egatube, Centaur, Marshall Tufflex etc. they all interchange as they are made to a set of standards set out in the 1920's by the British Engineering Standards Association which is why the boxes are still called BESA boxes by some, BESA became the BSI. Back then the conduit system was metal, the plastic version came along later, the diameter of the tubes changed to metric in the early 70's but essentially the system and its components remains unchanged. right from the word go there was standardisation between makes, each manufactuer had its quirks, but they all fit together.

What brand of conduit do you have?, are you sure its conduit and not water pipe or overflow pipe, or maybe you have the wrong size coupler.

barbaricduck likes this.
  9. Lectrician

Are you using 25mm conduit and 20mm couplers? :rolleyes:

10. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

And what size conduit are you using?. I have a feeling someone is talking about the wrong thing, Lec! :rolleyes:

BillyBobToo likes this.
  11. Lectrician

He said conduit, and also talked of using a male and female adapter to join two lengths, which would work, but is odd. I think he has one size conduit and a different size coupler.

12. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

TOWER HEAVY GAUGE CONDUIT COUPLINGS 20MM 2 PACK (28255)

FLOMASTA PIPE WELD CEMENT 250ML (6368X)

13. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Don't forget the expansion couplers for runs of more than 1 length.