How do I cut square holes in Ceramic tiles

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Tolly, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Tolly

Tolly New Member

Can anyone kindly tell me the best way to cut square holes in large ceramic wall tiles, so I can create my own designs by insetting smaller tiles, the holes need to be about 100mm square. I have tried using a spiral (rotary) cutter with a (from screwfix item code 11767) Bosch ceramic rotocutter bit, but it doesnt want to know, i.e it just creates sparks and I can't cut a neat hole using this as I thought I would like a router in wood, using a jig. I have tried this on a thin ceramic tile wondering if the large tile was too thick but still no luck? Perhaps the Bosch cutter isnt up to the job but I thought Bosch was quality stuff.
    Any help much appreciated.

2. plummit

plummit New Member

Tolly,
    Hopefully bathstyle/mudster will be on tonight, and I am sure that they can help, but apart from that I would think that you are on the wrong forum my friend.

3. Ken.L.Worth

Ken.L.Worth New Member

Not something I'd do personally, but if I were I'd use a small (115mm) angle grinder with either a stone cutting disc or if they're hard then a purpose tile cutting disc.

Cut from the face up to a line, then turn the tile over and extend the cuts through the back to join at the corners.

Masking tape on the face might help reduce edge chipping but remember an angle grinder will take no notice of tape.

Use the grinder so it's cutting downwards into the tile.

Clamp the tile in a workmate or similar, well supported underneath or it'll break, so you can use the grinder 2 handed, don't try to hold the tile with one hand and the grinder with the other.

Stone cutting discs aren't fearsomely dangerous, but always use stout gloves and eye protection!!

4. jasonb

jasonb New Member

If it was just a single cut for say a shaver socket then it can be done by lowering the tile onto the blade of a wet cutter. As you have several? to do you would be better off finding a company that does water jet cutting, this would give accurate(CNC maching) and repeatable results.

The rpotazip type cutters are only any good for rough holes is soft ceramic glazed tiles.

Jason

5. HarryS

HarryS New Member

I've done this when I had to tile round a single 13A electric socket, where socket fell completely within tile area. Did it by cutting hole with circle tile cutter (screwfx 13295) then using ceramic tile grit-edged blade (screwfix 10599 or 10504)in jigsaw. Need to clamp tile firmly - but carefully - and a steady hand

6. jasonb

jasonb New Member

7. HarryS

HarryS New Member

Agree -water jetting (as per your website) will give by far the best results - but not an option we can do ourselves.

8. Everyone has pretty much covered all the options here. The OP wants to insert desgins in the tile, the only way you'll get any decent kind of cut is waterjet, there isn't really another option.

9. Tolly

Tolly New Member

Many thanks for all your help, and appologies if it was in the incorrect catagory.. Its the first time I have used this forum and last time I had tiling done it was carried out by the plumber!! Thnx

10. Tolly

Tolly New Member

By the way, Just for interest ..I have decided to cut a corner off each of the 4 large tiles and insert my 100mm square tiles as a diamonds. I can cut these using a normal tile cutter with rotating blade.. many thanks.. Very helpful forum ( people out there).

11. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

Can anyone kindly tell me the best way to cut square
    holes in large ceramic wall tiles, so I can create my
    own designs by insetting smaller tiles, the holes
    need to be about 100mm square. I have tried using a
    spiral (rotary) cutter with a (from screwfix item
    code 11767) Bosch ceramic rotocutter bit, but it
    doesnt want to know, i.e it just creates sparks and I
    can't cut a neat hole using this as I thought I would
    like a router in wood, using a jig. I have tried
    this on a thin ceramic tile wondering if the large
    tile was too thick but still no luck? Perhaps the
    Bosch cutter isnt up to the job but I thought Bosch
    was quality stuff.
    Any help much appreciated.

Use an Omisaw (Rotozip thing, which were £100 a few years ago). Some Aldi branches are selling these for £17. Get one ASAP. Worth it just for one job like this.