How do I get this screw out

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Ayrton5, Jan 14, 2023.

1. Ayrton5

Ayrton5 New Member

If I break the tiles she'll kill me. This is what's left of a screw that held a shower rail to the wall. I only need a new screw, not a new rail, the rest of the kit is fine. Where the rail fits into the wall fixing wants a bit of clear silicon next time, is all.

But how do I get a rusty screw out?

Attached Files:

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Mole grips clamped onto the screw ,close to the wall,and turn it out. A drop of oil into the wall ,if you can ,would help. Leave it to soak for a while before using the grips.

rogerk101 and Astramax like this.
  3. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

As above. Doesn’t look like theres much in the wall anyway. Alternative would be to lever it up with a claw hammer and block of wood and pull it out plug and all. More destructive to the wall though.

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Tighten the screw into a drill chuck whilst fully supporting the drill, then drill on reverse, wind screw out

A battery combi-drill is ideal for this application

rogerk101 and FlyByNight like this.
  5. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

After the screw is out, drill out the plug.

ANd use a STAINLESS screw next time

6. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Mole grip for me: you want one with parallel jaws so you get a really good grip. Make sure you've got a good grip and try a to and fro motion first rather than just try to wind it out

rogerk101 and Astramax like this.
  7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

WD40 and mole grips......you will have more feel and control with this method.

8. Ayrton5

Ayrton5 New Member

Thank you gentlemen, it's out

There was a LOT left in the wall, it was a 100mm screw, and you could see about half of it there.

I had already tried mole grips, but the screw was that rusty the thread was giving way under their grip. A bit of WD40 and some gentle tapping though and the grips have done it.

As for the screw, that's what came in the kit. It's had a hard life though, where water was getting in it probably stayed there. What's the spec I need for a replacement? One of those yellow zinc treated jobs?

9. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Stainless steel

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Stainless steel 304