How Do I know If my House is Earthed

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Richard Winter, Dec 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Richard Winter

Richard Winter New Member

DIYer ...How do I know if my house is earthed?..I changed a socket at home and after tested it with a 'cheap' circuit tester it said the earth wasnt working so I changed the socket again..I then tested every socket and it also said no earth. The circuit tester is rubbish and rattles a lot so could be Missing a bulb. How would I know if my house was earthed without going out and buying another circuit tester?

2. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

just a thought....but look in yellow pages...or on line for the 231 electricians advertising in your area, pick one....and get it sorted.
    I admit I might be totally off the wall here on this one..
    RS

Magicspark likes this.
  3. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Is it floating above the ground???

No.

Then its earthed in some form, now what you need to work out is, do you want to be the contact between the live and earth or do you want a wire to do this.??

A wire??

Good choice, now all you need to do, is as above and give one or two of those nice sparkies a call to connect that wire for you. ;);)

PhilSo likes this.
  4. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

a picture of the consumer unit and meter area would be nice how old is property.