How do I paint MDF stairs?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Andy Andy, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Why would you want to ruin a hardwood handrail by painting it black?

2. Andy Andy

Andy Andy Member

3. Andy Andy

Andy Andy Member

Some important considerations.. thank you DIYDave.

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Diamond is not available in gloss, Dulux Trade High Gloss is an oil based product and will do the job well but take longer to fully harden before walking on it, remember two thin coats is better than one thick coat.

5. Andy Andy

Andy Andy Member

Astramax, chippie244, DIYDave,

Thank you all for your help. I managed to paint the stairs using Diamond Eggshell white on risers and Dulux Trade High Gloss Black on top.

Sadly, the black soaked inside the tape and the lines are not straight, as per my picture attached.

What's the quickest way to get these black marks off? I'm assuming if I paint over the black (solvent) paint with the Diamond Eggshell white, that it will still show through?

Thanks in advance.

Andy

Attached Files:

6. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

That reminds me - I really must learn to play the piano!

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Wrong tape....should have used Precision Masking Tape, rub over the black splodges with 150 grit and apply a couple or three coats of the white eggshell and leave to dry over a couple of days, mask up with precision masking tape and touch up the black paint, let it go off for 30 minutes and remove the tape before the paint dries completely.

8. Andy Andy

Andy Andy Member

Thanks Astramax, I have frogtape, I'm assuming that's just a brand name for precision tape.

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

One of many.

10. Andy Andy

Andy Andy Member

Guys - I finally finished the steps - now onto the Hand rail...

By the way - my bathtub is covered with dried up solvent paint - on the sides of the tub too - what's the best way to get rid of this? I'd imagine white spirit but that needs to set in for hours and i can't get that on the side of the tubs. Any help appreciated.

Many thanks - Merry Christmas to you all.

Regards

Andy

11. Andy Andy

Andy Andy Member

Can anyone help? How do I wash off dried solvent paint from a bath tub? White Spirit hasn't done much.

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

What's the bath tub, cast iron enamel steel or acrylic, and how long has it been on?

13. Andy Andy

Andy Andy Member

Hi @Astramax It's a standard run of the mill new home bath tub, so I think acrylic? Paint's been on for about 4-5 weeks... and dried up.

14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Hopefully it will come off after filling the bath with hot water or pouring water from a kettle of hot water over it, this will soften the paint and it may simply peel away from the acrylic surface, avoid using a sharp object such as a Stanley blade for obvious reasons. A piece of rigid plastic and soapy water would help, an aluminium polish or even toothpaste would help to polish it out.

15. Andy Andy

Andy Andy Member

Thanks @Astramax Good old soak in boiling water and a sponge with the green side and some man power did the job!

I've added a photo of the final finish on the stairs. Couldn't have done it without you guys x

Attached Files:

16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Great result also the stairs looks terrific You must be well pleased, top marks.:)

17. Andy Andy

Andy Andy Member

Thanks @Astramax :) Next project: Hand rail in same black gloss... Dreading it!

18. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Well you have shown time and patience pays off so you will have no problem. If the hand rail is already fitted to the wall best use a few dust sheets to protect the stair finish.;)

19. Andy Andy

Andy Andy Member

I have lots and lots of dustsheets. I think the key is patience.. Covering all areas properly.

@Astramax, the hand rail is solid wood with a thick coat of varnish.. Which sandpaper would you use? 120?

20. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yes that would be ok, as it is varnish and possibly an old oil base one a coat of Zinsser BIN is recommended to improve adhesion of the paint.