How Do I Paint New Skirting Boards Doors and Architrave

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Kryptonite, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Member

Hi

Need a bit of professional advice

I have brand new skirting boards doors and architrave (Bare Wood)

Things I have bought below

• Dulux trade diamond eggshell paint
    Whats the best way to paint bare wood, how many coats of primer/undercoat do i need and how many coats of paint for a perfect finish ?

Whats the best method for a perfect finish

Thanks

2. tremain

tremain New Member

Hi K, you should seal the knots, twice.Then two coats of your undercoat/primer,then two coats of eggshell for optimal finish.Sanding inbetween each coat.:)

3. surfermick

surfermick New Member

second this advice for the best finish.

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Spot on :).

5. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Member

Guys I?ve just spent 2 weeks doing this, I?ve done2 coats of knotting, 2 coats undercoat / primer & 2 coats of Dulux trade diamond eggshell paint (water based), and the finish results looks disappointing not happy at all. please see attached pics

I mean there?s no smoothness in it, there?s too many brush streaks that are visible from close distance. what?s the cause of this?  is it because its water based paint. plus it goes off really fast?

Any suggestions?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. tremain

tremain New Member

Try sanding it down again,get some good brushes,Purdeys monarchs.Then buy some floetrol ,this is a paint conditioner which will improve the consistency and lengthen the open time(time it takes to dry)This should help the rest is down to technique,laying off e.t.c.which may well be worth studying if your unfamiliar with it.