How do I remove the head on this 1/4 turn tap?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Adam83, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Adam83

Adam83 New Member

Our bathroom tap has been dripping for the past couple of years due to a worn ceramic. I eventually got round to looking at it today, thinking it'd be a nice easy job to take out the valve and replace it, but I can't work out how to get the tap head off.

[​IMG]

I was assuming there'd be an allen nut on the back of the handle, but all you can do is unscrew the cap on each side...

[​IMG]

...which doesn't slide up high enough to get a spanner in to unscrew the faucet.

I've tried pulling the handles and steeped the whole thing in descaler just in case the scale had fused them together. The only thing I did spot was this little clip on each side between the top of the faucet and the tap head, which I've removed but still no joy.

[​IMG]

Anyone got any experience with this sort of fitting? It was installed before we moved in and there's no branding on it so I don't know who the manufacturer is to be able to investigate that way.

Thanks!

2. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Pop a cap off one end of a handle to reveal the Allen screw you mentioned?

3. Adam83

Adam83 New Member

Good idea but they're solid, unfortunately.

4. just pumps

Know you said "Tried pulling" the handles off what about 2 crowbars (Large flat head screwdrivers) to prise off?

5. HarDeBloodyHarHar

HarDeBloodyHarHar Active Member

Have you opened the tap? No?

6. Adam83

Adam83 New Member

Yeah. Initially I wasn't pulling too hard as I wasn't sure if it was meant to prise off that way but I've put a fair bit of welly into it. Tried crowbarring as you suggested but no good.

Not sure what you mean? As in have I turned the tap on? I've tried pulling the head off with the tap on and off.

7. Ron12

Ron12 Member

Get someone in

8. just pumps

That is the tone of all your posts!
    Why?

9. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

If there is no securing allen screws on the back of the tap (which we cant see) :( and the T handle can not be dismantled.

then its a push fit on a spindle head carrier or its attached by glue,seen a few glued together throwaway taps :(

Or change the tap,In this occasion good advice and you wont break a nail ;)

10. HarDeBloodyHarHar

Wasn't being funny. Thought that maybe turning the tap handle might give a bit more slack to get the spanner in.

11. Adam83

Adam83 New Member

Thanks - yeah I'm beginning to wonder whether it has been glued. I guess I'll just force it as much as possible. Worst comes to worst it breaks and we'll need a new one anyway.

Wasn't sure if it was just me not understanding. Doesn't make much difference unfortunately.

Thanks guys - really appreciate all of your input on this, even just to check I wasn't missing a trick.

12. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Ok...close the barrel to the body.
    Put hardwood between the barrel and bar..... both sides.
    Unscrew the barrel using Oil filter grip type thing.
    See if the screw strength will pop it free..
    RS

13. shadowfax

shadowfax Member

I have a similar tap Adam, it also drips. If you find the solution, post back on the forum, it may help me and others. P

14. just pumps

15. retiredsparks

yes..like this one.
    Failing that...36 inch stilsons...
    Rs s-l300.jpg

16. Stan Lee Blade

Stan Lee Blade Active Member

8476B0C8-93C7-4B96-A7B4-3ACDAB3E1ADC.jpeg
    Excellent idea : took a sparks to come up with the solution :)

Get hold of an oil filter chain removal tool like this. Will close up to a small diameter : masking tape to prevent scratching and place chain at bottom over threaded part to prevent crushing.
    Look backwards it was obviously put on last when the tap was made . If it does not have a screw in the handle (have you thoroughly examined that) must be snapped or glued on as suggested.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  17. retiredsparks

Stan..not sure masking tape will stop total destruction of said chrome plated barrel:eek:
    And of course it took a sparks....:rolleyes:... we are Gods amongst men.:p
    I suggest its just years of carp thats causing it to be siezed on.
    RS

18. HarDeBloodyHarHar

Has it been solved then?

19. just pumps

Not that we know

20. Stan Lee Blade

Stan Lee Blade Active Member

I
    looking at this again IMO that little circlip you removed is key : it’s there for a reason, probobly holding the handle on, that won’t come off as it’s corroded : have you tried tapping with a mallet to loosen? Before employing the method explained by retiredsparks to use the barrel to force it off.