How do I remove this window?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Brent Brereton, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Brent Brereton

Brent Brereton New Member

Hi,

I'm in the process of replacing all the windows in my house. It's an ex-council house built in the 80's and all the windows are extremely out dated and single glazed.

I've spoken to my neighbor who's had his windows replaced and he said that the window fitter had an extremely difficult time taking the windows out and had to remove a layer of bricks below/above the windows. He thinks it had metal supports that were embedded into the brick.

I've looked at the window and I can't see any fixings anywhere. I really want to avoid removing the bricks if I can help it. And it would be great if someone could shed abit of light on this for me as I have no idea how these windows have been installed.

I was thinking of using a hacksaw to cut through the frame and hope that I could pry the window out.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

I am not a expert in these matters but in the 80’s there was a system that offered a galvanised steel frames that were built into the wall while it was going up. When construction was finished, Windows would be offered up to these frames and would simply click in as the window and frame were a matching pair. Don’t know if they ever thought of it’s eventual removal and replacement. Your neighbours window installer may have removed the bricks to get this frame out along with the windows.

I am sure the brickies and other experts will be able to cast more light on this.

Brent Brereton likes this.
  3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Any pictures?

Replace windows in parent house which was early 80's.

They were pvc clad over timber and single glazed.

The opening were built around the frames and fish ties were used to secure the frame.

[​IMG]

During installation the frames were cut at an angle and pryed carefully from the wall, the remaining ties were cut flush with brickwork with a grinder.

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

He had a mare of a time removing them because he most likely didn’t possess a reciprocating saw with a bi-metal blade or an angle grinder. Post up a couple of photos of your windows so we can have a better look.

5. Brent Brereton

6. Brent Brereton

[​IMG]I'm not sure how to post an image so I used a link. Hopefully this gives everyone a better idea of how the windows look.

Thanks for everyone's advice btw. I'm going to try and tackle this tomorrow