How do these legs attach to this table?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by phario, Jan 22, 2020.

Tags:
  1. phario

phario New Member

This seems like an awfully silly question, but that's about consistent with my abilities.

I picked up this table top and four wooden legs from a tip. It didn't come with any screws or attachments, but I've uploaded pictures to show the situation. The legs all have two screw holes in a diagonally cut section that lines up with another diagonal section in the table top.

In the below image, you see the leg has been placed it its slot. I would assume that a screw goes into the diagonal plate (with 3 screws on either side already in place) and through the gap to the other side.

Screenshot 2020-01-22 13.54.56.png

However are you supposed to fill the gap in some way? Or should this table have come with a bracket? Here is another view showing the top.

Screenshot 2020-01-22 13.54.46.png

Can I simply go and find two screws that are appropriately sized and screw it in?

2. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

There should be a threaded stud that is held in place in the table leg. This then goes trough the hole in the table 45 degree plate with a nut on the other side to tighten it up.

You're missing all the metal fixings!

There will be a hole in the top end of the table leg too...

I may be throwing out a table that has these fixings, however with no PM facility impossible to give you my details.

3. phario

phario New Member

Darn it! I was worried about this.

Erm...I'm not sure what to do. I didn't intend for this to be a permanent table but moreso something I could put into my garage. How easy would it be to jury rig up something that would attach the legs? I suppose for that I would need more clear pictures of everything.

4. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

5. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

6. jackelliott07

jackelliott07 Active Member

As above, we have a table with very similar fixings to this if i recall correctly. I'm not at home at the minute so can't look. You can see it was a bolt/screw with washer type fixing by the imprint on the bracing type pieces.

You probably just need the correct size bolt.

7. Zack Mitchell

Zack Mitchell New Member

Have the same method of attaching legs to my dining room table, it is just a bolt with washer through from the inside into the leg, mine were M10