How do these modern inlet valves work?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Dr Bodgit, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Well-Known Member

In my cistern, its a bit like a Fluidmaster 747UK (came with the Wye concealed cistern), float activates a small metal pin that goes through the middle of a rubber washer, can't see this would provide a 100% seal and can't get my head around the videos. My inlet valve isn't totally shutting off and I'm wondering if its all down to this little pin/washer interface or what.

I get that the water in the cistern provides some kind of back pressure, blowing into the inlet and moving the lever doesn't shut it off completely but not sure its supposed to?

2. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Well-Known Member

Hi Bodge..be useful to know what it is exactly.
    Nothing similar in SF book ?
    pics per chance...
    It only needs a tiny mark in the diaphragm or seating to allow bypass at high psig...
    Look with a eye glass.....
    Rs

3. Dr Bodgit

There's no markings on it at all except for WRAS, works in same way as above FM. I guessed its down to the pin or seal not seating/sealing 100% and will take a look tonight...it was a lot worse and some fettling improved it, now it starts to overflow drip-drip after 2-3 hours so bypass is miniscule.

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

As annoying as it is, cut ur loses and chuck the supplied piece of junk valve in the bin and replace with a decent valve

Fluidmaster side entry, brass shank
    £13.45

Yep, shouldn’t have to when uv purchased a new bog but guess the innards supplied are super cheap knock offs and now giving you grief, before even christening the throne

Save time / stress / water / grief / sanity and replace :)

5. retiredsparks

You cant just bandy figures like 13 quid around in front of Dr B..just like that...he needs some kind of warning..
    :D
    RS

6. Dr Bodgit

It's already in my saved list! Just like to give it one last try before I throw in the towel. I hate being defeated!

7. Dr Bodgit

Didn't get around to looking at it last night (was mounting the mirror instead), will get one of these tonight and fit at the weekend.

8. retiredsparks

Bodge...give the inlet pipe a really good full flow 30 second flush before you do....just in case of more debris.
    Rs

9. Dr Bodgit

OK...will do, just for you ;)

10. retiredsparks

Cheers mate....makes me feel all warm and safe...
    ........plus i cant stand any freaking more whinging about drippin overflows...:p
    RS

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  11. Dr Bodgit

I've got something else that won't stop dripping but that's probably best shared with my Dr.

KIAB likes this.
  12. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

13. Dr Bodgit

I have to find other ways of getting warm when working on my place.

14. retiredsparks

I have had one of these x10 mag....for 50 years...always needed and invaluable.
    s-l300.jpg RS

15. Dr Bodgit

I have one too, very useful for looking close up (when I'm trying to find something very small :eek:)

16. Dr Bodgit

Didn't have time/couldn't be bothered to fettle with the inlet valve so OH got me the Fluidmaster from SF and fitted it. Had a 'no not again moment' when I could hearing it drip-drip-dripping when the float was up and closed. So flushed it through again (taking the cap thingy off) and it works fine now.

Nice how it has a brass inlet with flats to hold it in place while doing up the tap connector.

17. retiredsparks

Good outcome Bodge........
    RS

Dr Bodgit likes this.