How do you secure pipework in shallow chase?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Dr.P, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Dr.P

Dr.P New Member

Hi,

I've cut a chose out of my wall for a radiator, and as I have thin interior walls, I've cut the chase quite shallow. It's deep enough that when the pipes are pushed back, they are around 10 - 15mm from the surface.

My question is, how do I secure the pipes? I can't use a clip because that will push the pipework past the surface.

Thanks

2. goldenboy

goldenboy Well-Known Member

Can you not use an old style saddle clip?

clip.jpg

3. teabreak

teabreak Well-Known Member

As above either cut out each side for the clip or fold around the pipe and put one screw through both holes.

In the days of iron pipe we used pipe hooks. Or banged a wire nail in alongside then hammered it flat but a bit dicey with cooper pipe though!;)
    [​IMG]

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

Copper or plastic pipe ?

Have you insulated pipes ?

Can use plastic hammer in clips generally for plastic pipe but also ok with copper (like a large cable clip)

Drill and use a yellow plug then bang in pipe clip

5. Dr.P

Dr.P New Member

It's copper pipe insulated with denzo tape. Thanks for the suggestions, I think the hammer in clips or the saddle clips are my best bet.

6. Heat

Heat Well-Known Member

Plaster will hold them in if you have some way of temporary holding them in place.
    Personally I would have ducted the pipes with plastic conduit or whatever suits