how long before people take notice of part p

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by m.elec, Feb 5, 2005.

1. m.elec

m.elec New Member

how long before people take notice of part p what do you all think comments welcome from both sides of the fence

2. adrenaline junky

adrenaline junky New Member

think people are becoming more aware of it BUT
    they still will go with the cheapest quote
    (for those that look round) and you know when
    someone has been in before you and quoted £15 a socket
    and the costomer has said that they'll prob go for that other guy even when they know about part P
    and they know that they won't get a cert for the work
    part P just ain't working.

3. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Have people stopped using mobile phones whilst driving? Thats your answer.

4. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

being honest (I always am )

Most people I have met have heard about it but need a bit of explaining to its purpose,what they can do what they cannot do.

Explain to them they get a cert from a reg spark and you can guess the answer.

I aint stopped since new years day kicked off

SF

5. m.elec

m.elec New Member

i personally think it will change once the mailshot has gone round but there will still be some who will want it cheap,
    in my mind when it comes to safety there is no such thing as cheap.

this may sound stupid but when qualified can you work on your own house and who do you send the bill to;)

6. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I explained all that to a potential customer too...and I didn't get the job for being honest :(. I dont really care because I do a good job and will get work from people who appreciate honesty rather than those who are just interested in price (hate doing "cheap" jobs).

UP

7. m.elec

m.elec New Member

the wife had a little girl today, chuffed to bits, need part p to work for me laid out a lot recently like most others but not before time i had been threatening to do my 16th for the last three years finally got round to it just needed a push

8. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Congrats to you m.elec I am sure it will work...for you...just need the right customers. On the whole most people will be law abiding and will appreciate the extra peace of mind.

UP

9. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

the wife had a little girl today, chuffed to bits,

Big congrats to you as well mlec (Sifi has a bottle of bud in hand cheers!)

sf

10. sparkp

sparkp New Member

unless its work where a building inspector will be involved dont think the majority will worry-how long has diy shops had pieces of paper in things they sell saying "must be fitted by a qualified electrician" and how many diy disasters have we all had to go and correct?

11. m.elec

m.elec New Member

wish i had a beer but am home looking after the other little one he's two but at least hes sleeping, ahhhh thanks for the comments on the baby.

i think this topic will gather some steam tomorrow.

night night all
    m.elec

12. l00pd0g

l00pd0g New Member

Congrats on the bambino m.elec :)

Andy

13. Rabbit Rabbit

Rabbit Rabbit New Member

Congrats m.elec - the sleepless nights start NOW! So no dropping off at the site now its against HSE regs lol

As to when people will if ever take notice of Part p - well it took several years for Corgi to become effective and in the main it is now effective. I dont think it will take as long as that for Part P simply because people are accustomed to the issues relating to gas and most will have already assumed electrical work is in the same category so will be more willing to accept Part p.

Having said that I agree if anything Part p will boost business for those that are able to undercut registered sparks for quite a while and the only thing that will stop that is the 'Sellers Package', not Part p.

14. Cornish Crofter

Cornish Crofter Active Member

Congrats m.elec from Cornwall!

It's good to hear good news. Is she going to follow you into the trade?

I have two daughters. The 12 year old is not at all interested in what I do, but the 10 year old is always keen to help. When I had to change my gear over from one van to another yesterday, she got out an helped, whereas the older one just sat inside and listened to the radio.

It was the same when I needed to clear up rubbish at the end of the job. The younger one just got on with it whereas the teenager to be just moaned all the time. I made her pull her weight that time then gave them each a few quid for helping me.

CC

15. l00pd0g

l00pd0g New Member

Lol CC. I have my girl helping out at the wholesalers run every other Saturday. She carries the bits and bobs to the van for me and sometimes comes to look around jobs.

She is helpfull when it comes to getting paid as well as the 'awww' factor often makes customers cough up quicker. She's 4, and one day 'all this will be hers' lol!!!!

Andy

16. Rabbit Rabbit

Rabbit Rabbit New Member

lol CC does the 12 year have long ginger hair all over her eyes, ears a baseball hat and called Kevinette. Sadly CC it gets WORSE before it gets better again, but it does get better (just before they leave the nest). My three lasses are all long gone and one with two children of her own.

RR

17. wicked01

wicked01 New Member

Hey Cornish,

Your twelve year old sounds like my new apprentice!!! lol

Back on topic tho, we can all still do the work, but just have to get the LA in to check it after (costs I think £75) which can be passed onto customer direct without too much persuasion, it is for the certificate after all.

My only question is, if we call in the LA to check, can the customer use the outlets in the meantime?

Cos lets face it the LA may take ages to get there, and b4 he/she gets there is the tradesman breaking the law by letting the customer use the appliances?

18. Cornish Crofter

Cornish Crofter Active Member

"My only question is, if we call in the LA to check, can the customer use the outlets in the meantime?"

From my experience - yes.

Having done some work on my flat in Plymouth, I now need to test it out with the BCO there. Unfortunately he is off on 2 weeks paternity leave, so he cannot come out.

Well my tenant is still using the electricity and he knows this and is comfortable with it.

The only practical problem that would arise in the short term if it was not up to scratch would be the refusal to issue the building cert until all new faults were rectified.

CC

19. kraftwerk

kraftwerk New Member

money dictates everything,if you prosercute cowboy sparks they may go away but they wont.look at jarvis,dozens of people dead yet not one person sent to prison

20. Not a Joe

Not a Joe New Member

When I spoke to the ODPM (last year) Ken Bromley said that it may take 5 years to get to the same level of Public awareness for electrics as it has for gas.